Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Frank Victor, Danielle Adams, Jim Higgins, Don Kanavy, Bill King, Jay Starnes, Mike Costanza
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Jim Marcks, to approve the minutes of the March 16, 2011 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor was not in attendance at today’s meeting and the Treasurer’s Report was not given.
ITEM 4 Chairman Majikes reported on the highlights of the PIAA Board of Directors’ Meeting on March 25th and 26th. He thanked Jeff Gregory for representing District II at the meeting in the Chairman’s absence due to illness:
· Approval of a cooperative agreement between Blue Ridge and Susquehanna Community Schools to cooperatively sponsor boys’ and girls’ golf and wrestling.
· Approval of a cooperative agreement between Blue Ridge Middle School and Susquehanna Community High School to cooperatively sponsor Junior High wrestling.
· Effective immediately, an individual properly elected by a District Committee to represent the District Committee on the Board of Directors, but who changes employment status during the year in which the member is serving may, at the discretion of the member’s District Committee, continue to represent the District Committee on the Board of Directors until the immediately following June 30th.
· Effective immediately, a waiver of Section 1B of Article VII, Period of Participation, may not be considered unless a District Committee has first waived Section 1A of that same article.
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the immediate eligibility of Jessica Paroby, Lakeland to Riverside, in accordance with Article VI, Principal to Principal Sign Off, of the PIAA By-Laws. All Ayes
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes reviewed a letter from Bronson Stone, Superintendent of Susquehanna Community School District, informing the District II Committee that his Board of Directors has approved a resolution that all varsity teams shall only be permitted to enter PIAA playoffs, at district expense, when they have a .500 or better record or a .500 or better record versus schools of the same class, beginning with the 2011-2012 school year. The committee members present had some clarifying questions regarding the resolution and the Secretary will contact Superintendent Stone and review the results of that conversation at the next committee meeting.
ITEM 7 Eligibility Chairperson, Mike Ognosky, reviewed with the committee members the eligibility forms that are required by the PIAA for a principal-to-principal sign off, foreign exchange student, and request for additional eligibility. They will be reviewed with the member schools at next week’s annual business meeting.
ITEM 8 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Baseball/Softball: Chairman Majikes reported that the District Deadline for Baseball and Softball is June 4th. The format for both tournaments will be available shortly and placed on the webpage and emailed to Athletic Directors. The PIAA State playoff dates are June 6, 9, 13 and 17. District II will host first round games in baseball in A, AAA, and AAAA; and first round games in softball in AA and AAAA.
· Lacrosse: Chairman Majikes reported that the boys’ and girls’ sub regional with District IV will begin on May 31st with the winner hosting the District III #2 team followed by the state playoff dates of June 4, 7, and 11.
· Tennis: Mike Ognosky reviewed the upcoming schedule for the District Boys’ Tennis championships. A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Jeff Gregory, to approve the format as presented. All Ayes
· Track: Chairman Majikes presented the committee with a copy of the qualifying standards in District II for both the Varsity and Junior High. They are also located on the district web page.
· Volleyball: Maureen Williams presented the Volleyball format for review. A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the format as submitted. All Ayes
· Girls Soccer: Vito Quaglia presented the Girls’ Soccer format for review. A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Jim Marcks, to approve the format as presented.
· Golf: Joe Farrell explained to the committee members present that it has been recommended by the Golf Steering Committee to provide two classifications in both team and individual championship competition for the next two year cycle. The PIAA Board of Directors will be acting on that recommendation in the very near future.
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes presented written reports to the committee members regarding the events that happened at the Mid Valley/Mt. Carmel, Girls’ A First Round game, on Friday, March 11, 2011 at Danville Area High School. Reports presented included written reports from Chad Vinansky, Principal of Mid Valley High School; Lanny Diltz, Site Manager for the contest; Bernard Stellar, Principal of Mt. Carmel Area High School; Wayne Evans, Scorekeeper of Mid Valley Girls’ Basketball; and, Brad Cashman, PIAA Executive Director.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes distributed a copy of an article from “Philadelphia
Magazine” discussing the alleged recruitment of Junior High students in the Philadelphia area by private schools.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes reviewed the agenda for the April 20, 2011 District II
Business Meeting to be held at Arcaro & Genell’s in Old Forge.
ITEM 12 A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Pat Patte, to honor Phil Schoener, Channel 28 Sports’ Broadcaster, with the annual District II Media Award to be presented at the Banquet on April20th. All Ayes
ITEM 13 Mike Ognosky presented the financial report for the recently conducted “Changing the Culture of Sport” Conference held at the University of Scranton on March 15th and 16th.
ITEM 14 A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Gerard Grimaud, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 5:45 p.m.
District II Secretary