Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, James Marcks, Mike Costanza, Joe Farrell
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Jim Higgins, seconded by Vito Quaglia, to approve the minutes of the March 16, 2010 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s Report. As of April 14, 2010 the District II Treasury has Certificates of Deposit of $71,146.87 and a Total Savings and Checking Account balance of $48,031.55, with a total Fund Balance of $119,178.42. Frank also reviewed the financial report related to the 2010 District II Basketball Championships. The Championships had a total of $89,792 in receipts, $65,410 in expenses and a net income of $24,382. The District paid out a total of $8,442 to member schools in basketball shares. There was a total attendance for all games in the District II Basketball Championships of 14,719.
A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Tom Jenkins, to approve the reading of the Treasurer’s Report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 After discussion regarding the current vacancy on the District II Committee due to the retirement of Dino Galella, a motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Don Kanavy, to appoint Pat Patte, Principal of Wilkes-Barre GAR, to the District II Committee. All Ayes
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Jim Higgins, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the immediate eligibility of Monica Wu, Taiwan to Valley View, in accordance with Article VII, Foreign Exchange and International Students, of the PIAA By-Laws. All Ayes
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes reviewed the proposed changes and revisions in the new enrollment classes for 2010-11 and 2011-12. The PIAA will have a finalized enrollment/classification list following the passage of the changes and revisions on a 3rd reading by the PIAA State Committee.
ITEM 7 Chairman Majikes discussed with the committee the current movement across the state to revisit the private school dominance in the recent winter state championships. The latest is a discussion that would offer two separate championships – one for private schools, another for public.
ITEM 8 A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Frank Victor, to approve the proposed championship formats for the 2010 District II Baseball and 2010 District II Softball Championships as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 9 On the recommendation of the Officials’ Representative, Bill Schoen, a motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Tom Jenkins, to provide 4 umpires for both the softball and baseball semifinals and finals. 14 Ayes, 1 Nay
ITEM 10 A motion was made by Vito Quaglia, seconded by Gerry Grimaud, to accept the Track and Field report as submitted by Danielle Adams, District
II Track and Field Chairperson. The report included the following:
· Dates for the 2010 championships will be May 15th (Junior High), May 17th (Varsity AA) and May 18th (Varsity AAA). Rain dates will be the next available day for the varsity meets and May 22nd for the Junior High meet. All meets will be held at Scranton Memorial Stadium.
· There will be a switch in the order of events for Varsity only. Girls will compete first, which is the order at the state meet. This will be in the Track and Field Districts packet handed out at the Annual meeting.
· There will be a switch from Direct Athletics to Milepslit for entering times and distances for all meets. Directions are being adjusted by Dave Grecco and will be included in the packet.
· There have been no changes in the qualification standards.
· There will be a meeting on Monday, April 19th at West Scranton High School with the District II Track and Field Committee and officials from Scranton High Schoolin order to discuss the logistics of the various District meets at Scranton Memorial Stadium.
· Seeding will be posted on Wednesday, May 12th for the Junior High District meet and Thursday, May 13th for the Varsity meets. We will also ask that these seeded meets be sent to the AD’s those same evenings to make corrections only – no additions.
ITEM 11 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Maureen Williams, to
approve the 2010 District II Girls Soccer Spring Championship Format as
submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 12 A motion was made by Jeff Gregory, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve
the 2010 District II Boys Volleyball Championship Format as submitted.
ITEM 13 Bill Schoen, Officials Representative, presented a brief report of the officials’ council meeting held at the recently conducted PIAA Basketball
Championships. One of the main topics of the discussion was the recruitment of young officials.
ITEM 14 Chairman Majikes reviewed the agenda for the upcoming District II Annual Business meeting scheduled for next Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at Bentley’s Restaurant in Wilkes-Barre. The business meeting will begin at 4 p.m., followed by an awards’ ceremony. Member schools may invite the principal, athletic director, and superintendent to the meeting and dinner.
ITEM 15 A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Tom Jenkins, to honor Steve Bennett, Wilkes-Barre Citizens Voice, with the annual District II Media Award to be presented at the Banquet on April 21st. All Ayes
ITEM 16 A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Gerard Grimaud, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 5:45 p.m.
District II Secretary