Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, Frank Galicki, Dino Galella, Jim Higgins, Ray Lowery, James Marcks, Ross Scarantino, Vito Quaglia, Mike Costanza
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve the minutes of the March 18, 2009 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s Report. As on April 15, 2009 the District II Treasury has Certificates of Deposit of $70,165.06 and a Total Savings and Checking Account balance of $102,180.59, with a total Fund Balance of $172,345.65. Frank also reviewed the financial report related o the 2009 District II Basketball Championships. The Girls’ Championships had a total of $21,625 in receipts, $19,704 in expenses and a net income of $1,921. The Boys’ Championships had a total of $53,034 in receipts, $25,092 in expenses, with a total net income of $27,942. The District paid out a total of $1,240 to member schools in girls’ basketball shares and $12,617 to member schools in boys’ basketball shares. There was a total net income of $37,566 and a total paid out to schools in school shares of $13,857.
A motion was made by Joe Lalli, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the reading of the Treasurer’s Report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 Principal Michael Cole and Athletic Director Deborah Pepsin presented a report on behalf of the Old Forge High School outlining the plan of action prepared by the Old ForgeHigh School as required by the District II Committee as a result of the March 18, 2009 hearing. Principal Cole carefully outlined the steps taken by Old Forge to date regarding the findings of the District II Committee at the hearing. Following his presentation the committee asked a number of questions. The District II Committee asked the secretary to address a letter to Old Forge outlining the additional information the Committee would like to have at the time of the Old Forge follow up report at the August, 2009 meeting.
ITEM 5 Principal Joseph Hanni presented a report on behalf of Lakeland High School outlining Lakeland’s plan of action in addressing the recent forfeits during the 2009 District Basketball playoffs as requested by the District II Committee as a result of the March 18, 2009 hearing. Principal Hanni carefully reviewed each of the steps put in place by the Lakeland High School to prevent such an occurrence in the future. District Chairman Majikes reminded Lakeland that they will be required to appear at the August, 2009 meeting to update the district in regard to the plan put in place.
Following the presentation, a motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Maureen Williams, to accept the plan as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 6 Frank Victor submitted travel voucher sheets to the members of the committee and asked that they be returned at the Annual Business meeting scheduled for Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at the Tribeca Conference Center in Pittston, Pa.
ITEM 7 A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Jeff Gregory, to approve Junior High Membership to the PIAA for St. Rose Academy. All Ayes
ITEM 8 A motion was made by Don Kanavy, seconded by Joe Lalli, to approve the eligibility of Matthew Shaefer, Jensen Beach (Fla) to Wallenpaupack, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruitment, of the PIAA By-Laws. All Ayes
ITEM 9 The District II Committee reviewed the preliminary paperwork in regard to the transfer of a student-athlete from Riverside to West Scranton and has scheduled an eligibility hearing for Wednesday, April 22, 2009 to hear the case as there was no principal to principal sign off provided.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes reviewed the following information presented at the
March, 2009 State Board of Directors meeting in State College:
· The National Association of Sports Public Address Announcers will be conducting a one day clinic on August 1, 2009 at the PIAA Offices featuring Randy Cosgrove, Stadium Announcer, for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
· Informed the committee that the Requests for Proposals for the 2009-2010, 2010-2011, and 2011-2012 Team Wrestling, Individual Wrestling, Swimming and Diving, and Basketball Championships have been released with a deadline to apply for consideration of April 24, 2009.
· Amended, on a second reading, that, with the exception of Regular Season Scrimmages and/or Contests with alumni (other than in the sports of football and wrestling), persons who have graduated or have withdrawn from high school are not eligible to participate in practices, interschool practices, scrimmages and/or contests effective May 21, 2009.
· Amended, on a second reading, to require all registered PIAA Sports’ Officials registered with the PIAA since July 1, 2007 to submit to PIAA, Act 34 (background check), Act 151 (child abuse history), and Act 114 (federal criminal history record).
· Defeated the proposal to require a certified track official at Cross Country meets.
· Defeated the proposal to require 2 classifications in golf.
· Approved, on a second reading, the football committee proposal to increase to 6 classifications.
ITEM 11 The various sports’ chairpersons presented their reports. Highlights
· Frank Victor, Basketball Chairperson, reported that at the recently held Basketball Steering Committee meetings at the PIAA office, that a number of Districts have modeled the PIAA State Championships and are playing A and AAA Boys and AA and AAAA Girls on the same nights, and AA and AAAA Boys and A and AAA Girls on the same nights. Currently, District II plays Boys on one night and Girls on the other. Frank also reported that the State Play in games schedule for next year is the same as this year. The sites of those contests will continue to be played at the home school of the top of the bracket. That means District II teams will travel once more for their play in games.
· Jay Starnes reported that at the Wrestling Steering Committee meeting there is strong support for transitional state championship brackets versus the traditional state brackets currently utilized. There is some feeling that coaches and players are manipulating district results in order to get a better seeding in the state tournament.
· Tom Jenkins reported that the 6 classification proposal for football passed on a second reading with 17 affirmative votes. There will need to be additional support for it to pass on a third, and final, reading.
· Chairman Majikes reported that all of the spring formats are now on the website at www.piaad2.org.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes reviewed the agenda for the upcoming District II Annual Business meeting scheduled for next Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at the Tribeca ConferenceCenter. The business meeting will begin at 4 p.m., followed by an awards’ ceremony. Member schools may invite the principal, athletic director, and superintendent to the meeting and dinner.
ITEM 13 Chairman Majikes reviewed the two amendment proposals to be considered at the Annual Business Meeting. The first will recognize the power of the Board of Directors to hear appeals from Regional Panels and for the Executive Director to resolve emergency matters relating to appeals from Regional Panels, effective July 1, 2009. The second will authorize District Committees to select three members to serve on Regional Panels; to remove the requirement that officers of a Regional Panel serve for a period of one year; and, to authorize the Executive Director to designate one member of a Regional Panel to serve as chairman in the absence of an agreement by the participating districts on the selection of that chairman, effective July 1, 2009.
ITEM 24 A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Joe Lalli, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:10 p.m.
District II Secretary