Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes. The regular monthly meeting was preceded by a press conference with local television and print media announcing the scheduling of the 2013 PIAA District II Baseball Championships at PNC Field on Monday, May 27th.
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, Vito Quaglia, and Bill Schoen
Visitors Present: Jim Sabatini, Marty Lawler
ITEM 2 Chairman Majikes asked the members present to observe a moment of silence in memory of Mike Costanza. Mike was the Parent Representative on the PIAA District II Board of Directors and recently passed away following a lengthy illness. His work on the committee was greatly appreciated and our condolences to his family and friends.
ITEM 3 John Cadaman, General Manager of FOX-TV 56; Steve Phillips, Director of Creative Services of FOX-TV 56; and, Bod Ide, Sports Announcer of FOX-TV 56 presented a request for consideration of the District II Committee regarding the fees schedule for the broadcast rights of District II Championship events in all sports. Bob Ide presented an example schedule of events held on FOX 56 and sister station WQMY “My TV” and asked that the District II Committee consider a schedule of fees modeled after the current District III fee schedule for their events. He presented that fee schedule to the committee for their review as part of the presentation. Following the presentation, the Committee discussed the proposal and offered suggestions and modifications to that proposal for consideration by the committee for action. The Committee asked the Chairman to continue discussions with FOX-TV 56 regarding a “fees schedule” and report back to the committee for future consideration in order for a schedule to be presented and considered for the 2013-2014 championship seasons. All agreed to continue the current fee schedule through the 2012-2013 school year.
ITEM 4 A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Chris Thomas, to approve the minutes of the March 20, 2013 meeting as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 5 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s Report as of April 17, 2013. The total Certificates of Deposit are $12,530.11 and the total Savings and Checking Account balance is $178,381.41 making the Fund Balance as of April 17th a total of $190,911.52. Frank then reviewed the final report following the completion of the District II Basketball Playoffs. Total receipts for the playoffs were $95,119; total expenses were $43,151; and net income was $51,968. A total of $16,588 was distributed to District II member schools as the school shares. Following the report, a motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 6 The following spring sports reports were given:
· Baseball (Frank Majikes): Baseball Chairman, Frank Majikes, reviewed the format for the upcoming District II Baseball Playoffs. A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Jim Higgins, to approve the format as submitted. All Ayes
· Softball (Pat Patte): Softball Chairman, Pat Patte, reviewed the format for the upcoming District II Softball Playoffs. The final dates for all rounds will be set at a later date and the format will be provided to all member schools and placed on the website. A motion was made by Joe Farrell, seconded by Frank Galicki, to approve the format as submitted. All Ayes
· Volleyball (Maureen Williams): Volleyball Chairperson, Maureen Williams, presented the format for the upcoming District II Boys’ Volleyball Championships. The format will be distributed to member schools and placed on the website. A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Frank Galicki, to approve the format as presented All Ayes
· Track (Danielle Adams): In Danielle’s absence, Chairman Majikes reviewed the format and schedule for the upcoming District II Track and Field Championships. That information will now be sent to member schools and posted on the website. A motion was made by Chris Gegaris, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the format as submitted. All Ayes
· Boys’ Tennis (Bill Schoen): In Bill’s absence, Mike Ognosky reviewed the format for the upcoming District II Boys’ Tennis Championships. That information will now be sent to member schools and placed on the website. A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the format as provided. All Ayes
· Competitive Cheer (Chris Gegaris): Competitive Cheer Chairperson, Chris Gegaris, updated the committee on the March 28th Competitive Cheer Steering Committee meeting. The state competition will be moving to the GIANT Center in Hershey for 2014 and will be expanded from 96 to 120 teams. The competition will be held on January 24th and January 25th next year. Chris will be preparing the information for the District II Competitive Cheer Championships that will be held in November. Chairman Majikes announced that Jay Starnes and Maureen Williams have volunteered to assist Chris in the management of the Competitive Cheer District II Championships.
· Golf (Joe Farrell): Joe is making final arrangements for the 2013 Golf Championships in the Fall and will be reporting back to the committee shortly with a final format.
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Jay announced that the Wrestling Committee has made a number of visits to the Kingston Armory and is recommending to the committee that all of the 2014 Wrestling Championships be held at that venue. A motion was made by Jim Higgins, seconded by Pat Patte, that all of the 2014 District II Wrestling Championships be held at the Kingston Armory. All Ayes
· Public Relations and Corporate Sponsors (Bill Schoen): In Bill’s absence, Tim Honeywell updated the committee on the discussions currently being held regarding the development of corporate sponsorship with District II.
ITEM 7 Chairman Majikes reviewed the format for the upcoming business meeting to be held at Arcaro & Genell’s in Old Forge on Wednesday, April 24th with registration beginning at 8 a.m.
· Mike Ognosky distributed the program and the group reviewed the material for any potential errors.
· Bob Lombardi and Melissa Mertz will be on hand representing the PIAA State Office and will review the potential amendments to the PIAA Constitution that will be voted on at the meeting.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes reviewed the report received from Jeffrey D. Shaffer, Principal of the Dallas Senior High School, outlining the mandated plan for student management, as required by the District II Committee following the recent hearing on this matter. A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the report as submitted and thanking the Dallas Administration for their cooperation in addressing this concern. All Ayes
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes announced that the District II Committee will be sponsoring a Title IX (Act 82) Reporting Seminar on Tuesday, May 14th from 10 a.m. to Noon at PNC Field. The architect of the reporting form, Peg Pennypacker, will be on hand to review the form and address any questions. Following discussion, a motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Bill King, to invite the Superintendent, Principal, Business Manager and Athletic Director, from each District II member school, to the meeting and a follow up luncheon, at no cost to the school district All Ayes.
The information regarding the seminar will be distributed at next week’s Annual Business Meeting.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes provided the District II committee members with the following information items:
· A review of the March 21, 2013 PIAA State Board of Directors meeting. The minutes of that meeting are located on the PIAA District II website on the “PIAA State Office” story on the front page.
· A review of the preseason heat-acclimatization guidelines that will be reviewed by PIAA Executive Director Bob Lombardi at the Annual Business Meeting next week.
ITEM 11 A motion was made by Pat Sheehan, seconded by Chad Vinansky, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:35 p.m.
District II Secretary