Meeting was convened at 4:20 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:20 p.m.
Absent, but accounted for: Danielle Adams and Joe Farrell.
ITEM 2 Chairman Majikes began the meeting by welcoming the following new members to the District II Committee: John Coyle, Principal of Scranton High School; Mark Rinaldi, Athletic Director of Dunmore High School and the new Athletic Director Representative from the Lackawanna League schools; and, Mary Ruth Tanner, selected by PSBA to serve as the School Board Representative to the District II Committee.
ITEM 3 Chairman Majikes also explained that Pat Sheehan will be serving as an advisor to the District II Committee. Pat has been recently named the Superintendent at Mid Valley and will be leaving the committee as a voting member.
ITEM 4 Chairman Majikes instructed the District II Secretary, Mike Ognosky, to post to the web page an announcement regarding the vacancy on the District II Committee of former Dallas Superintendent Frank Galicki. Frank retired as of June 30th from his position. An announcement will be placed on the webpage asking that an interested Wyoming Valley Conference High School Principal who is interested in serving on the committee apply in writing to Chairman Majikes by September 11, 2015. Please note that any principal from a school that currently has a member on the committee is ineligible to apply for the vacancy.
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the minutes of the May 19, 2015 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 6 Frank Victor, District II Treasurer, reviewed the “Statement of Financial Position for Year Ended June 30, 2015” report to the committee. The District ended fiscal year 2014-2015 with a balance of $228,892.59, as compared to the beginning balance of $217,951.12, a net increase in the District II Treasury of $10,941.47. During the course of the year, District II gathered $321,107.89 in revenue and incurred net expenses of $310,166.42. It was also reported that during the course of the 2014-2015 year, member schools received school shares for participation in the football and basketball district playoffs totaling $38,727. A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Eric Emmerich, to approve the treasurer’s report as given. All Ayes
ITEM 7 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Baseball: Frank Majikes reported that the utilization of PNC Field as a venue for the District II Baseball Championships was very successful once again. All is set for the 2016 District II Baseball Championships to be held at PNC Field on Memorial Day 2016.
· Basketball: Frank Majikes reported that in very near future a press conference will be held with officials from the Mohegan Sun Arena announcing that the 2016 District II Basketball Championships will be held at that location. Eight Championship games will be played at the Arena on a Friday and Saturday. Details will be announced regarding the time schedule for the games at a later date.
· Cheerleading: Chris Gegaris announced that the 2015 District II Competitive Cheer Championships will be held at Crestwood High School on Sunday, November 15th. Details will be distributed to the school as that date approaches.
· Cross Country: Bill King announced that the 2015 District II Cross Country Championships will be held at Elk Lake on Wednesday, October 28th. Rain date will be Saturday, October 31st at the same site.
· Football: Mike Ognosky reviewed the three remaining reclassification proposals for consideration by member schools. Schools will review the proposed 4 classifications, 6 classifications, and Super 700 classifications at a meeting to be scheduled in the very near future. Member schools will be asked to send both the Athletic Director and Principal to the meeting.
· Girls’ Tennis: The scheduling for the 2015 Girls’ Tennis Championships has been slightly altered as the Singles’ and Doubles’ Championships will be held prior to the Team Championships. This is the same format as followed by the Boys’ Championships in the spring.
· Volleyball: Maureen Williams asked if the format for a District Championship can be altered in the middle of a two year cycle. Although it is not usually done, it may be altered should circumstances dictate such a change. Chairman Majikes asked that Maureen provide a review of any proposed change at the next committee meeting for the committee’s review. It will also be discussed with the conference Athletic Directors prior to any approval process.
· Officials: Bill Schoen informed that committee that commencing with the 2015-2016 Winter Sports’ Seasons all PIAA officials will be required to provide copies of all three of their clearances – Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, and the FBI Fingerprint Record Check. He asked that the PIAA announcement be placed on the web page for officials’ information.
ITEM 8 The Committee acted upon the following motions regarding student athlete eligibility:
· A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the immediate eligibility of Lucas Stage, Tunkhannock to Scranton Prep, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal sign off, of the PIAA By-Laws. All Ayes
· A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Vito Quaglia, to approve the immediate eligibility of Talia Kosierowski, Dallas to Holy Redeemer, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal sign off, of the PIAA By-Laws. The approval will be contingent upon the reception of follow up information required by the District II Committee to be reported directly by the schools to District Chairman Frank Majikes. All Ayes
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes reviewed the highlights of the most recent PIAA Board of Directors Meeting held on Wednesday, July 22, 2015. Minutes of that meeting can be found on the District II webpage.
· Approved the PIAA Tennis Steering Committee request, end of match procedures, that after a team secures 3 wins, the remaining matches will be conducted using no-add scoring, effective the next game for District and Inter-District competition, effective immediately.
· Approved the recommendation of the Strategic Planning Committee that PIAA count the member school submitted numbers for all home schooled students, cyber-charter school students, magnet, technology, and alternative school students and to add only 10 % of these submitted numbers to the regularly enrolled student numbers for classification purposes, effective immediately.
· Accepted the recommendation of Athletic Directors’ Steering Committee, on a suspended protocol basis, to establish a fine of $100 per season for member schools that do not submit their certificates of eligibility within 14 days of their first contest, effective immediately.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes reviewed “thank you” communications received from 2015 Scholar Athlete Award winners – Brian Grodzki, Wyoming Valley West; Katie Miller, Scranton High School; Calib Madili, Scranton High School; and, Tara Judge, Wyoming Valley West High School.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes provided each committee member present with a 2015-2016 PIAA Calender.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes provided those principals present with a copy of the PIAA Emergency Action Planning Guide. All member schools will be provided with the guide at the upcoming Football Reclassification Meeting.
ITEM 13 A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to nominate Frank Majikes as the 2015-2016 District II Chairman. A motion followed by Fred Barletta, seconded by Chad Vinansky, to close those nominations. All Ayes. Congratulations to Chairman Majikes!
ITEM 14 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Jay Starnes, to nominate Bill King as the 2015-2106 District II Vice Chairman. A motion followed by Chis Thomas, seconded by Chad Vinansky, to close those nominations. All Ayes. Congratulations to Vice Chairman King!
ITEM 15 A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Jay Starnes, to nominate Mike Ognosky as the 2015-2016 District II Secretary and Web Master. A motion followed by Chris Thomas, seconded by Pat Patte, to close those nominations. All Ayes. Congratulations to Secretary Ognosky!
ITEM 16 A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to nominate Pat Patte as the 2015-2016 District II Treasurer. A motion followed by Chris Thomas, seconded by Chad Vinansky, to close those nominations. All Ayes. Congratulations to Treasurer Patte!
Chairman Majikes thanked Frank Victor for all of his tremendous years of service to the District II Committee as their Treasurer. Frank will be remaining as an advisor to the Committee and work closely throughout this year providing much needed guidance and assistance to Pat Patte as he moves into that position.
ITEM 17 Chairman Majikes discussed the scheduling of meetings for the 2015-2016 school year. Currently our meetings are scheduled for the third Tuesday of each month. Following discussion, the committee members found that to be an acceptable meeting date for this year. Our next meeting will be scheduled for Tuesday, August 18th and information will be sent to committee members prior to the meeting date by Chairman Majikes. At that time, Sports Chairs will be finalized for the 2015-016 school year.
ITEM 18 A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Ron Collins, to adjourn the meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:45 p.m.
District II Secretary