Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Frank Galicki, Mike Ognosky, Pat Patte, Chris Thomas, and Ben Tolerico
Chairman Majikes began the meeting by welcoming Ben Tolerico, Principal of Holy Cross High School, and the new private school representative to the PIAA District II Committee. He also welcomed Michele Tierney as the new school board representative to the PIAA District II Committee. Michele is a member of the Abington Heights School District Board of Directors. Information on all committee members has been updated on the webpage.
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Chris Gegaris, seconded by Pat Sheehan, to approve the minutes of the November 18, 2014 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the financial report as of December 16, 2014. The District II Fund Balance is currently at $256,893.61. That includes a Certificate of Deposit at PNC Bank of $12,603.27; a Savings Account PNC Money Market of $66,537.05; and, a current checking account at PNC of $177,753.29. Following the presentation of the report, a motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve the report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 4 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): A meeting of the District II Basketball Committee will be scheduled shortly in order to begin preparations for the 2015 District II Basketball Championships. Chairman Majikes will be contacting Committee members shortly in order to arrange a date.
· Cheerleading (Chris Gegaris): Chris Gegaris reviewed the recently conducted championships. Participating teams included Berwick, Crestwood, Dallas, Delaware Valley, Hazleton Area, Pittston Area, Tunkhannock, and Wallenpaupack. Total expenses for the tournament were $1,837.76 while total revenue was $3,412; a net income of $1,574.24.
· Field Hockey (Chris Gegaris): Chris Gegaris also reviewed the fall Field Hockey Championships. Total expenses for the tournament were $2,105.60, while total revenue was $3,130; a net income of $1,024.40.
· Football (Mike Ognosky): Frank Victor presented the financial report for the 2014 District II Football Playoffs. For the 11 total games there were net receipts of $75,321; and, net expenses of $21,460 – for a net income of $53,861. A total of $20, 487 was then distributed to the participating schools. Following the presentation of the report, a motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Danielle Adams, to approve the distribution of the school shares as reported. All Ayes
· Swimming (Fred Barletta): Chairman Majikes announced to the Committee that Fred Barletta would be the new District II Swimming and Diving Chairperson.
· Tennis (Pat Sheehan): Pat Sheehan discussed the items from the Fall Sports’ Tennis Steering Committee Meeting held at the PIAA State Offices in Mechanicsburg on Thursday, December 4, 2014. Chief recommendations to the State Board included a switch of the Individual and Team Tournament Dates on the PIAA Calendar.
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Jay presented the initial information regarding the 2015 District II Wrestling format and emphasized that information will be distributed to the member schools shortly.
ITEM 5 Chairman Majikes informed the committee members that there have been renewed discussions at the PIAA State Offices to revise the current four classification system in football for the next two year cycle. The proposed revision would provide for six classifications and still provide member schools the opportunity to “declare up” if they wish. Six classifications would reduce the number of schools per classification from approximately 145 to 94-97. A detailed handout was provided to all members and they are asked to discuss the potential for change with member schools.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes provided a summary of the most recent PIAA Board of Directors’ Meeting conducted on Thursday, December 11, 2014. Minutes of this meeting can be found on the District II webpage at www.piaad2.org. He discussed the following items:
· The Board accepted the Football Steering Committee’s recommendation to adopt the new Rawling’s R2FB-PIAA football, which will be added to the Rawlings football product line. The ball is to be used in PIAA Post Regular Season competition in 2015.
· The Board accepted the Football Steering Committee’s recommendation to increase the heat acclimatization program from three consecutive days to five consecutive days and have all senior high schools participating in football commence this program on Monday, August 10, 2015 (approved on a first reading).
· The Board denied a request to move all fall sports practice dates to August 10, 2015 and retain the first inter-school practice or scrimmage date as August 22, 2015.
· Accepted the Wrestling Steering Committee’s recommendation to limit the participation by a school to no more than two (2) Multiple School Dual Events or Individual Pool Events, to become effective July 1, 2015. This was accepted on a second reading.
ITEM 7 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Pat Sheehan, to approve the immediate eligibility of Kahseem Crook, Coughlin to Wyoming Valley West, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, of the PIAA by-laws. All Ayes
ITEM 11 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Maureen Williams, to adjourn the meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:50 p.m.
District II Secretary