Meeting was convened at 4:20 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4: 20 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Joseph Farrell, Chris Gegaris, Jim Higgins, Al Holtzer, Chris Jones, Mike Ognosky, Vito Quaglia, and Chad Vinansky
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Frank Galicki, to approve the minutes of the November 26, 2013 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the financial report as of December 17, 2013. The District II Fund Balance is currently at $257,474.61. That includes a Certificate of Deposit at PNC Bank of $12,559.49; a Savings Account PNC Money Market of $66,451.47; and, a current checking account at PNC of $178,463.65. Following the presentation of the report, a motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Fred Barletta, to approve the report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 4 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Cross Country (Bill King): Bill thanked the administration of the Elk Lake School District for their terrific effort and assistance as the host of the 2013 Cross Country Championships and applauded the efforts of the District II competitors at the PIAA State Championships. District II won three team titles including Holy Cross (Girls’ A), Dallas (Girls’ AA), and Tunkhannock (Boys’ AA). We also had two individual state champions with Tessa Barrett of Abington Heights winning the Girls’ AAA race and Dominic DeLuca of Dallas winning the Boys’ AA race.
· Football (Mike Ognosky): Frank Victor, District II Treasurer, presented a detailed financial report for the recently completed District II Football Championships. Total receipts for the 12 district playoff games were $118,357, while total expenses for those games totaled $20,371, for a net income of $97,986. Total attendance for the 12 games was 21,157 highlighted by the AAA championship game between Abington Heights and Berwick of 3,586; and the A championship game between Old Forge and Dunmore totaling 3,221. Member schools participating in the playoffs received a total school share of $39,646 distributed among 14 different schools. Following the report, a motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Pat Sheehan to approve the report, including the distribution of school shares, as presented by Frank Victor. All Ayes
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Jay presented initial information regarding the 2014 District II Wrestling format. The deadline for the completion of all league matches is January 28th with the team dual tournament seeding meeting to be the following day at Hanover Area. The Team Dual Tournament will be conducted on February 1st at the Kingston Armory. The PIAA State Team Championships will be held the following weekend, February 6-8 at the Giant Center in Hershey. The District II Individual Tournament seeding meeting will be conducted at Pittston Area on February 19th with the competition to be held at the Kingston Armory on February 21stand 22nd. The Regionals will be the following weekend, March 1st and 2nd, with the AA Regionals scheduled for Williamsport and the AAA Regionals scheduled for Bethlehem Liberty. The PIAA State Individual Wrestling Championships will then be held on March 6th-March 8th at the Giant Center in Hershey. Jay emphasized that member schools must adhere to the deadlines established in order to conduct the appropriate seeding meetings and tournament schedules. The price of admission to the Kingston Armory for both the Team and Individual District Championships will be $6 for adults and $4 for students for each day. Following the report, a motion was made by Danielle Adams, seconded by Eric Emmerich, to approve the report as presented. All Ayes
· Public Relations and Corporate Sponsors (Bill Schoen): Bill reported that discussions with Geisinger Health Systems are continuing.
ITEM 5 Bill King, District II Cross Country Chairperson, offered for discussion a proposal for the purchase of tents by the District II Committee to be utilized at the annual Cross Country Championships. The tents would be stored at Scranton High School and would be set up at the site of the District Championships by Scranton School District personnel. Following a lengthy discussion, the committee asked Bill King to research costs and report back to the committee at a future meeting.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes provided a summary of the most recent PIAA Board of Directors’ Meeting conducted on Thursday, December 17, 2013. He discussed the following items:
· Provided the Committee members with a copy of the enrollment classification information for the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school years for all boys’ sports. The same information had been provided to all member schools through a memorandum issued by Dr. Lombardi on November 25, 2013.
· Provided the Committee members with a copy of the enrollment classification information for the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school years for all girls’ sports. The same information had been provided to all member schools through a memorandum issued by Dr. Lombardi on November 25, 2013.
· Approval of a cooperative sponsorship, effective the beginning of the 2014-2015 enrollment classification cycle in both Junior High and Varsity Football between Benton (D-IV) and Northwest Area (D-II).
· Rejection of the PIAA Tennis Steering Committee recommendation to define Doubles Teams as an intact tandem without allowing alternates or substitutions and request Executive Staff to provide recommendation for January Board of Directors’ meeting to address the issue.
· On a third and final reading basis, the Board of Directors’ accepted the recommendation of the PIAA Executive Director to support a PIAA/PSADA initiative to implement coaching education and require all coaches to complete the NFHS Core Courses, or equivalent courses, effective July 1, 2016.
· Approved the PIAA Football Steering Committee minutes to adopt language to address the site selection process of non-contiguous districts that the site will be selected in consultation with the respective football chairman and the PIAA Tournament Director; and, on a first reading basis that the football season be extended from the 83rd day to the 86th day to accommodate sub-varsity programs and provide them the opportunity to complete their schedule.
ITEM 7 Chairman Majikes updated the committee on his most recent discussions with Jack O’Malley regarding the current Positive Coaching Alliance initiative. He shared with the committee his exchange of emails with Dr. O’Malley as well. Following a lengthy discussion, the committee asked Chairman Majikes to contact Dr. O’Malley to clarify workshop scheduling for 2013-2014 and report back to the District II Committee.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes shared with the Committee the response of Holy Redeemer High School’s administration to the October 18, 2013 letter received from the District II Committee asking for Holy Redeemer’s revised protocol following the utilization of an ineligible player during the 2013 football season. The Committee members reviewed that response and the information provided by Holy Redeemer High School thoroughly. Following that review, a motion was made by Pat Sheehan, seconded by Chris Thomas, accepting the Holy Redeemer Administrative report and thanking them for their efforts in addressing the matter. All Ayes
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes informed the Committee members that the new IRS mileage reimbursement rate is now 56 cents per mile.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes informed the Committee members present that the eligibility hearing scheduled with Hanover Area for today has been postponed to a later date. Chairman Majikes will get back to the committee with a rescheduled date as soon as possible.
ITEM 11 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Maureen Williams, to adjourn the meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 6:50 p.m.
District II Secretary