Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: John Coyle, Joe Farrell, Chris Gegaris, John Haas, Bill King, Mark Rinaldi, Mary Ruth Tanner, Mike Ognosky
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Fred Barletta, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the minutes of the January 18, 2017 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Pat Patte presented the Treasurer’s report. As of February 15, 2017 the District II total fund balance is $276,351.05. Of that amount, $12, 699.52 is located in Certificates of Deposit and the remaining $263,661.53 is located in Savings ($66,7110.52) and Checking ($196,941.01) accounts.
A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the treasurer’s report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 The following sports reports were presented at today’s meeting:
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): Frank Majikes noted that preparations for the District II Basketball Championships are underway and he has been meeting regularly with arena staff in order to coordinate activities. He acknowledged Allied Services for its sponsorship activities including printing and other promotional assistance. He also presented the Committee with the updated District II Basketball Boys & Girls Standings and Point Ratings.
· Football (Mike Ognosky): Chairman Majikes presented Committee members with the minutes of the PIAA Football Steering Committee meeting of Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at the PIAA State Headquarters. Football Chairman Mike Ognosky represented the District at the meeting. Among items presented to the Board of Directors for consideration were the elimination of the use of shoulder pads for out- of-season activities, except for the quarterback throwing activities; a maximum of 10 Regular Season Football Contests may be played at the same level (Varsity, JV, etc.) of competition and that, with District approval, member senior high schools may play one additional Regular Season contest, effective the beginning of the next classification cycle.;
· Swimming and Diving (Fred Barletta): Fred Barletta reported on preparations for the District II Swimming and Diving Championships to be held at the Wilkes-Barre CYC and urged schools to complete registrations for their athletes in a timely manner.
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Jay Starnes reported on preparations for the District II Individual Wrestling Championships to be held on February 24th and 25th at the Kingston Armory. He also acknowledged the great efforts of committee members, coaches and athletes during the highly successful team duals which tool place earlier in February.
· Track and Field (Danielle DePietro): Danielle DePietro reported on the upcoming Track and Field Championships scheduled May 15 (AA) and May 16 (AAA) at Scranton Memorial Stadium. She also led a discussion regarding qualification standards for athletes. On a motion by Bill Schoen, seconded by Ron Colllins, this information was directed to be sent to Athletic Directors throughout District II for their feedback. All Ayes
· Officials (Bill Schoen & Maureen Williams): Bill Schoen and Maureen Williams reported that District II Basketball Officials will conduct their annual playoff preparation meeting on February 19th at the Wilkes-Barre Career & Technology Center.
· Sportsmanship (Chad Vinansky): Chad Vinansky urged principals and athletic directors to provide more timely feedback on remediation actions taken regarding individual athletes/coaches’ disqualifications for respective schools. Failure to follow this protocol could jeopardize a school’s participation in post-season district athletic championships.
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Fred Barletta, seconded by Bill Schoen, to approve the immediate eligibility of Aurora Monacellli, from North Pocono to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers and Residence, Section 4, of the PIAA By-Laws, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 6 A motion was made by Ron Collins, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the immediate eligibility of Nathan Cieslak, from Old Forge to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers and Residence, Section 4, of the PIAA By-Laws, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 7 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Eric Emmerich, to approve the immediate eligibility of Kalley Kovaleski, from Holy Redeemer to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers and Residence, Section 4, of the PIAA By-Laws, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 8 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Ben Tolerico, to approve the immediate eligibility of Noah Valdez, from Tunkhannock Area to Wyoming Area, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers and Residence, Section 4, of the PIAA By-Laws, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes reviewed the completed agenda of the January 25, 2017 PIAA State Board of Directors meeting. A complete summary of the actions of that meeting can be found on the District II webpage on the “PIAA State News” story on the bottom of the front page. Just click on “Summary of the latest PIAA Board of Directors Meeting”.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes distributed to Committee members a copy of the “PIAA Appointment of School Director to PIAA Board of Directors – Statement of Interest Form”. The PIAA State Board will be appointing a Board Director to this seat – applications are due by Friday, March 3, 2017.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes announced that the Student Leadership Deadline for the National Federation of High School’s Summit in July is March 6, 2017.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes announced that the Basketball Steering Committee will meet at the Wilkes-Barre Career & Technology Center on Sunday, February 19th at 9 a.m.
ITEM 12 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Maureen Williams, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m.
District II Secretary