Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Mike Ognosky and Jim Marcks
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the minutes of the January 19, 2011 meeting. All Ayes
Chairman Majikes congratulated both Maureen Williams (Female Officials’ Representative) and Bill Schoen (Male Officials’ Representative) on their re-election to those committee positions for an additional two year term.
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s report. As of February 16, 2011 the District II total fund balance is $92,239.23. Of that amount, $72,189.09 is located in Certificates of Deposit and the remaining $20,050.14 is located in Savings ($5,745.97) and Checking ($14,304.17) accounts. The starting fund balance for the District as of July 1, 2010 was $87,835.95.
A motion was made by Mike Costanza, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the treasurer’s report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Danielle Adams, approving the eligibility for Charleto Pascal, Scranton to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal Sign off, effective immediately.
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Gerald Grimaud, approving the eligibility of Grace Cosgrove, Dunmore to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal Sign off, effective immediately.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that the schedule for the PIAA Winter Steering Committee meetings at the State Offices in Mechanicsburg is as follows:
Basketball Thursday, March 31st 10 A. M.
Swimming Thursday, March 31st Noon
Wrestling Thursday, March 31st 2 P. M.
ITEM 7 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Swimming (Jim Higgins) – District II Swim Chairman, Jim Higgins, reports that all is set for the District II Swimming and Diving Championships. Information is available on the web site and has also been sent to all Athletic Directors.
· Basketball (Frank Victor) – District II Basketball Chairman, Frank Victor, reports that all is set for the District II Basketball Championships. Information is available on the web site and has also been sent to all Athletic Directors.
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes) – District II Wrestling Chairman, Jay Starnes, reports that the Dual Team Championships have been completed. Information has been placed on the web site and has also been sent to all Athletic Directors in regard to the upcoming Junior High Championships and Varsity Individual Championships.
· Danielle Adams (Track and Field) – District II Track and Field Chairperson, Danielle Adams, provided a preliminary schedule for the 2011 Track and Field Championships with all events tentatively scheduled for Scranton High School. The Junior High Championships are scheduled for Saturday, May 14th, the AA Varsity Championships for Monday, May 16th, and the AAA Varsity Championships for Tuesday, May 17th. Rain dates have been scheduled for Wednesday, May 18th and Thursday, May 19th should the need arise.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes reviewed the information that has been distributed by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) regarding the 92nd Annual NFHS Summer Meeting which will be held Tuesday, June 29th through Saturday, July 2nd at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown. 1,000 attendees composed of board members and executive staffs from the 51 NFHS member state high school associations are expected to attend. The event consists of more than 40 workshops, forums, and general sessions and features distinguished speakers from around the United States.
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes reviewed a number of items that were discussed at the most recent PIAA State Board of Directors meeting in Mechanicsburg. Among the items discussed were the following:
· The National Federation Section 2 Student Leadership Conference
· A presentation at the Board Meeting by the Universal Cheerleaders Association (UCA)
· A discussion was held regarding potential changes in the cooperative sports’ agreement procedures. A vote on the matter was tabled.
· A second reading was held that would require that a soccer player who was ejected for fighting and/or vulgar language would be suspended for the next two contests.
· The PIAA State Board of Directors voted 19-12 against recommending to the committee as a whole to advance by one week the start of the first day of practice.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes reviewed the contents of House Bill 187 which was referred to the Education Committee on January 24th. The proposed bill states that the board shall provide for the inclusion in extracurricular activities any student who lives within the school district, attends a private or nonpublic school and elects to participate in such public school activities that are not offered by the private or nonpublic school they attend. Furthermore, the board shall not restrict inclusion of a student who lives within the school district but is enrolled in a charter or cyber charter school, private or nonpublic school or participating in a home education program, in an extracurricular activity in accordance with this proposed bill.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes reviewed with the committee the latest Strategic Planning Study Initiative information received from the PIAA State Office. The PIAA State Office is soliciting feedback on issues that its member schools may have regarding enrollment, enrollment classifications, qualifications for postseason (inter-districts) by individuals, and qualifications for postseason (inter-districts) by teams. Member schools are asked to provide feedback by March 1st.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes informed the committee members present of the procedure that will be followed in filling the vacant position as a result of the retirement of Vice Chairman Tom Jenkins. The committee position will be posted on the website and Principals of member schools in the LIAA will be asked to forward a letter of interest and brief resume to Chairman Majikes by March 9, 2011. Materials will be reviewed and the committee will act on filling that vacancy.
ITEM 13 Chairman Majikes announced that Gerald Grimaud has decided not to seek reelection for the Tunkhannock Area School Board. He will continue as the board representative on the District II Committee for the duration of his current term of office on the Tunkhannock Board.
ITEM 14 A motion was made by Danielle Adams, seconded by Maureen Williams, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 5:27 p.m.
District II Secretary