Meeting was convened at 1:30 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Bill King, Danielle Adams, Chris Jones, and Pat Sheehan
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Jim Higgins, seconded by Frank Galicki, to approve the minutes of the January 21, 2014 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s report. As of February 17, 2014 the District II total fund balance is $199,784.72. Of that amount, $12,567.06 is located in Certificates of Deposit and the remaining $187,217.66 is located in Savings ($66,466.14) and Checking ($120,751.52) accounts. The starting fund balance for the District as of July 1, 2013 was $182,926.56.
A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Bill Schoen, to approve the treasurer’s report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 The following sports reports were presented at today’s meeting:
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): Mike Ognosky distributed and reviewed the brackets for the boys’ and girls’ tournaments with the committee. Following discussion, the committee recommended to the District II Basketball Committee to move the starting dates for the opening round games to Wednesday, February 19th and Thursday, February 20th due to the impending weather forecast. The District II Basketball Committee will be meeting after this committee meeting and that recommendation will be presented for consideration.
· Competitive Cheer (Chris Gegaris): Chris applauded the District II schools that just competed at the 2014 Competitive Cheer State Championships in Hershey. Congratulations to Hazleton Area for finishing 3rd in their division.
· Field Hockey (Chris Gegaris): The WVC Field Hockey meeting scheduled to review the current divisional set up has been moved to February 27th at Luigi’s at Noon.
· Football (Mike Ognosky): Mr. Majikes commented that District II, IV, and XI will be meeting shortly in order to discuss the subregional AAAA playoff structure for the next two year cycle. That meeting will most likely be held in March.
· Soccer (Al Holtzer): Al explained to the group that there will be a meeting in the near future to discuss the seeding procedures for the District II Soccer tournaments for the next two years. He explained that there was sentiment among the schools to move to a power structure in the leagues in establishing their divisions. Following discussion, the District II Committee recommended to Al that the seeding criteria at the district tournament level remain the same as established.
· Swimming and Diving (Jim Higgins): Jim informed the committee that all is set for the upcoming Swimming and Diving Championships.
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Jay applauded the Wrestling Committee efforts in the great job of hosting the 2014 Team Dual Championships at the Kingston Armory recently. He thanked all of the members of that committee for their efforts in making the championships a success. The Individual Championships are now set for this weekend at the Armory. Wrestling will begin Friday evening at 5 p.m. and continue through Saturday night’s championships in each weight class.
· Public Relations and Corporate Sponsors (Bill Schoen): Bill informed the committee that a conference call with Geisinger officials in Marketing and Development is scheduled for February 18th. He will report back to the committee at the March meeting.
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Joe Farrell, to approve the immediate eligibility of Damian Clark, from Wyoming Valley West to Coughlin, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers and Residence, Section 4, of the PIAA By-Laws, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that he had received the principal reports on an incident during a recent boys’ basketball game between Valley View and Scranton and that the principals of both schools had dealt with the incident appropriately.
ITEM 7 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that he has received information from Holy Cross regarding a recent incident at a boys’ basketball game between Dunmore and Holy Cross. He is awaiting the report from the Dunmore administration.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes provided the committee with a copy of a letter from Old Forge High School thanking the District II Committee and the Wilkes-Barre Area Career and Technology Center, for all of their kindness and support on Old Forge’s recent journey through the PIAA Football Playoffs and the A State Championship game.
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes distributed to the committee members a report from the Wyoming Seminary Administration as a result of a recent eligibility hearing. At the direction of the District II Committee, Wyoming Seminary was required to review their current procedures in order to prevent the use of an ineligible student-athlete in the future. Committee members reviewed and discussed the correspondence. Following that discussion, a motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve the report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 10 Jay Starnes explained that the Lackawanna Interscholastic Athletic Association had asked him to address the Committee regarding the potential for District II Junior High Championships in various sports in the next two year cycle. The committee discussed the request and felt that at this time the practice of not sponsoring junior high championships would continue.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes reported to the Committee that he is still awaiting response from the PIAA State Office regarding the 501-C-3 question that was discussed in January.
ITEM 12 A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Vito Quaglia, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 2:35 p.m.
District II Secretary