Meeting was convened at 4 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Bill King, Danielle Adams, Mike Costanza, Jay Starnes, and Chad Vinansky
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Joseph Farrell, to approve the minutes of the January 23, 2013 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s report. As of February 25, 2013 the District II total fund balance is $155,410.44. Of that amount, $12,523.28 is located in Certificates of Deposit and the remaining $142,887.16 is located in Savings ($66,377.14) and Checking ($76,510.02) accounts. The starting fund balance for the District as of July 1, 2012 was $114,132.67.
A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to approve the treasurer’s report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 The following sports reports were presented at today’s meeting:
· Lacrosse (Al Holtzer): The format for the 2013 Boys’ and Girls’ Lacrosse Championships was presented. The tournament will be an open tournament and seedings will be based on the league records of the teams from the newly formed Wyoming Valley Lacrosse League. All games, including the championship games, will be played at the higher seeded team. A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Tim Honeywell, to approve the format. All Ayes
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): The 2013 Championships are now at the semifinal stage of competition with games scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday evening. Game Managers are asked to take their informational folders as supplied by Frank Victor to the semifinal sites.
· Athletic Directors (Tim Honeywell/Al Holtzer): The Wyoming Valley Conference will be holding a dinner on March 10th honoring their 4 retirees: Jim Higgins (Holy Redeemer), Jerry Bavitz (Nanticoke Area), Frank Parra (Wyoming Area), and Tom Rokita (Lake-Lehman). Dinner reservations are $40/person.
ITEM 5 At this point, 4:55 p.m., the regular monthly meeting was adjourned as the committee conducted a hearing regarding the participation of a potentially ineligible player by Dallas High School during the 2012 Junior High Football Season. Allegedly, player participated in a Junior Varsity football contest and then was moved down to the Junior High level for the remainder of the season. The committee heard the case in a closed session and returned to public session at 5:45 p.m.
A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Tim Honeywell, as follows:
· All of the representatives present at the meeting representing Dallas were commended for their presentation and professionalism during the hearing;
· The Principal and Head Football Coach in place at the time of the move of the player from the Junior Varsity/Varsity level to the Junior High level after participation at the JV/Varsity level are publicly censured for their actions in regard to allowing the player’s participation as an ineligible player at the Junior High level.
· The Dallas School District Athletic Program is placed on probation for a one year period of time effective February 25, 2013 through February 25, 2014. Any irregularities within that program in regard to the PIAA By-Laws and Constitution will be subject to immediate committee review.
· The Dallas School District Administration must forfeit all Junior High contests in which the player participated and that must be communicated by letter from the Principal of Dallas to the Principal of the other participating schools.
· The administration of the Dallas High School is required to present to the District II Committee, via the District II Chairman, a detailed account of the action plan that will be implemented in order to correct this situation in order to prevent a reoccurrence. That action plan is to be submitted prior to presentation at the scheduled April, 2013 District II Committee monthly meeting.
ITEM 6 The committee acted upon the following eligibility requests:
· A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Pat Sheehan, to approve immediate eligibility for Larry Youngblood, Nanticoke Area to Northwest Area, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal Sign Off, of the PIAA By-Laws. All Ayes
· A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to approve immediate eligibility for Anthony Ortiz, Scranton to West Scranton, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal Sign Off, of the PIAA By-Laws. All Ayes
ITEM 7 Chairman Majikes informed the committee of recent correspondence with Bob Ide, Fox 56 Sports Director, regarding the potential of televising more District Semifinal and Championship games in a variety of sports. Chairmen Majikes shared the correspondence he has received on the matter and the committee asked that discussions continue with Fox 56 on the matter with the Chairman reporting back to the group on the result.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes informed the District II Committee that concerns have been brought to his attention regarding the actions of three District II member schools. Preliminary investigations into each of those concerns are ongoing and there is the potential for additional District II Committee hearings regarding all three. Chairman Majikes will keep the Committee informed regarding these matters.
ITEM 9 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Maureen Williams, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:24 p.m.
District II Secretary