Meeting was convened at 1:10 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, John Coyle, Vito Quaglia, Mark Rinaldi, Chad Vinansky, Maureen Williams, and Mike Ognosky
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to approve the minutes of both the April 12, 2016 monthly meeting and the April 20, 2016 Annual Business Meeting.All Ayes
ITEM 3 Pat Patte presented a brief summary of the current activity in the Treasurer’s Report. With the end of the fiscal year on June 30, 2016, Pat is completing all of the various reports required by the State Office and will have a complete report for the Committee to review at the upcoming August meeting. He did comment that all of the reports from the recently completed Spring Championship playoffs have been completed and all bills have been processed. As of July 5, 2016 the total fund balance is $272,732.41. A motion was made by Eric Emmerich, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 4 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Baseball (Frank Majikes, Ron Collins): There was discussion regarding the disqualification process in Baseball and definition of “restricted” to the bench following disqualification.
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): Frank provided the committee members with the schedule for state playoff games with the expansion to 6 classifications in both boys and girls basketball. The championship games will begin on Thursday, March 23rd with the following schedule: AA Girls (Noon), A Boys (2 p.m.), AAAA Girls (6 p.m.), and AAA Boys (8 p.m.). On Friday, March 24th the A Girls game will begin at Noon, followed by the AA Boys (2 p.m.), 6A Girls (6 p.m.) and 5A Boys (8 p.m.). On Saturday, March 25th action begins with the 3A Girls game at Noon followed by the AAAA Boys (2 p.m.), 5A Girls (6 p.m.), and 6A Boys (8 p.m.)
· Cross Country (Bill King): Bill reported that all is in place for the 2016 District II Cross Country Championships to be held at Lakeland High School on Wednesday, October 26, 2016. The rain date will be Saturday, October 29th. Please note the change in venue from Elk Lake High School to Lakeland High School.
· Softball (Pat Patte): Congratulations to Holy Redeemer on their second consecutive State Championship in AA Softball. Also, congratulations to both Hazleton Area (AAAA) and Abington Heights (AAA) in advancing to the state semifinals.
· Swimming (Fred Barletta): Fred informed the committee that there have been discussions regarding a change in the format for the District Swimming and Diving Championships. More information shall be forthcoming.
· Awards (Bill Schoen): The Committee held a lengthy discussion regarding recent concerns with our current medals supplier. Following the discussion, the committee directed the Officers, as well as Bill Schoen (Awards Representative), to meet with the current supplier in order to discuss a remedy for those concerns and to return to the committee with a recommendation for the future. There was also a lengthy discussion regarding the additional medals that will now be required as we move to additional classifications in a large number of our sports’ championships. It appears that with the increase in classifications there can be up to a 30 % increase in the number of medals required.
· Officials (Maureen Williams, Bill Schoen): Maureen Williams has been named to the PIAA Board of Directors for a two year period effective July 1, 2016, serving as the Female Officials’ Representative. Congratulations to Maureen! Also, congratulations to Chris Thomas on being appointed as the District II Softball Interpreter, replacing Tony Cerminaro. The Committee thanked Mr. Cerminaro for his years of service to softball.
· Private Schools (Ben Tolerico): Mr. Tolerico explained the policy recently adopted by the Pennsylvania Catholic Bishops and Pennsylvania Catholic Conference that prohibits females participating/competing against males in contact sports.
· Sportsmanship (Chad Vinansky); In Chad’s absence, Frank Majikes was asked to check into a reported disqualification in Lacrosse in which the officials assigned to the game did not file with the PIAA the requisite disqualification notification.
ITEM 5 A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Chris Thomas, granting immediate eligibility to Connor Hazlet, Holy Redeemer to Northwest Area, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal sign off.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes reviewed the Sports’ Chairmanship tentative assignments for the District II Committee members for the next year. They are as follows- for each sport first name listed is the chairperson:
Cross Country Bill King. Eric Emmerich, Chad Vinansky
Football Mike Ognosky, Ron Collins, John Coyle, Vito Quaglia
Field Hockey Chris Gegaris, Pat Patte
Golf Joe Farrell
Soccer Mark Rinaldi, Fred Barletta, Vito Quaglia
Tennis John Coyle, Ron Collins, Bill Schoen
Volleyball Maureen Williams, John Haas, Ben Tolerico
Competitive Spirit Chris Gegaris, Eric Emmerich, Mary Ruth Tanner
Basketball Frank Majikes, Mike Ognosky, Frank Victor,
Ron Collins, Joe Farrell
Swimming Fred Barletta
Wrestling Jay Starnes, Pat Patte, Fred Barletta, John Haas
Baseball Frank Majikes, Eric Emmerich, Bill Schoen
Softball Pat Patte, Chris Thomas
Track & Field Danielle Adams, Bill King, Eric Emmerich, Chad Vinansky
Lacrosse Mark Rinaldi, John Coyle
Officials Frank Majikes, Bill Schoen (Male Rep), Maureen Williams (Female Rep)
Public Relations Bill Schoen, Mike Ognosky
Inter-Dist. Relations Frank Majikes
Athletic Directors Fred Barletta, Mark Rinaldi
Finances Pat Patte, Frank Victor
Awards Bill Schoen
Girls Athletics Danielle Adams, Fred Barletta, John Coyle, Mary Ruth Tanner, Maureen Williams
Sportsmanship Chad Vinansky, Ron Collins, John Haas, Chris Thomas
Eligibility Ron Collins, Jay Starnes, Chris Thomas
Private Schools Rep Ben Tolerico
Male Parent Rep Eric Emmerich
School Board Rep Mary Ruth Tanner
Jr. High Athletics Joe Farrell
Website Mike Ognosky
ITEM 7 Chairman Majikes reviewed with the committee the information and actions taken at the May 25, 2016 PIAA Board of Directors’ meeting. Complete minutes of that meeting can be found on the District II webpage at www.piaad2.org.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes provided the committee members with handouts from
the various roundtable discussions that he participated in at the most
recent National Federation Conference held from June 29 to July 2nd.
Frank shared information he gathered at the Assistants/Associates Roundtable Forum, the Board Members Roundtable Forum, and the Officials’ Discussion Forum.
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that Northwest Area and Benton have terminated their cooperative agreement in Varsity Football as approved by the PIAA Board of Directors.
ITEM 10Chairman Majikes informed the Committee that the PIAA is establishing a Second Assistant position and that the job description is on line at the PIAA website www.piaa.org
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes distributed an article from May 24, 2016 Citizens Voice of Wilkes Barre entitled “District 2 should reconsider open tournaments”. It emphasized that financial times are changing in our school districts and by moving from an open tournament we would eliminate travel costs for a number of our schools. Chairman Majikes has reached out to the reporter by phone and is awaiting a return call.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes distributed additional materials received at the National Federation Conference including an article entitled “High School RIO” which is an internet based data collection tool used in the National High School Sports Related Injury Surveillance Study. This study has tracked high school sports injuries over that past decade.
ITEM 13 Chairman Majikes distributed an article to the Committee detailing the recently passed anti-hazing legislation passed by the Pennsylvania State Legislature in House Bill 1574 and signed into law by Governor Wolf. The new law will take effect on July 25, 2016.
ITEM 14 Chairman Majikes informed the committee of the recent passing of Jim Ferris, a retired District II Vice Chairman.
ITEM 15 Chairman Majikes shared with the committee two thank you notes received from Scholar-Athlete Award winners, Joshua Hospodar and Youngeun Park.
ITEM 16 A motion was made by Fred Barletta, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 4:15 p.m.
District II Secretary