Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Mike Costanza, Frank Galicki, Tim Honeywell, Pat Patte, Vito Quaglia, Bill Schoen, and Maureen Williams
Advisors Present: Don Rogers (District II Solicitor), Frank Victor (District II Treasurer).
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Jim Higgins, to approve the minutes of the May 9, 2012 meeting as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 3 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Jim Higgins, to approve the minutes of the April 18, 2012 District II Annual Business Meeting as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 Frank Victor, District II Treasurer, presented the Treasurer’s Report. Frank reviewed the most recent “Total Banking Statement” of the PIAA District II PNC Bank Account dated May 31, 2012. Currently, District II has a checking account balance of $44,161.82; a money market account totaling $5,751.50; a certificate of deposit totaling $12,494.05; and a corporate account with the PIAA State Office totaling $60,368.38; for a total current account of $122,775.75. Frank also indicated that the accounting firm of Boyer/Ritter will be conducting their annual end of the year audit of our account in the very near future. A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Eric Emmerick, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 5 SPORTS REPORTS: The following sports’ reports were presented at today’s meeting:
· Baseball (Frank Majikes): The district recently completed a very successful District II Baseball Championship tournament. Frank reported that there were some weather problems in the later round and thanked the schools for their cooperation in rescheduling as necessary. Frank also commented that many Districts have held their championship games on Memorial Day and it has proven to be successful as it is a day when families are home and available to attend throughout the day. The Committee supported the potential scheduling of next year’s championship games on Memorial Day.
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): Frank reminded the committee that there will be an open tournament again next year in all classifications. The Basketball Committee will be meeting early in the next school year to finalize the format. Also, he reminded the committee that member schools recently expressed their support for the regionalization format for the state tournament and he will express that sentiment at the next PIAA State Board of Directors meeting.
· Cheerleading (Chris Gegaris): Chris reported on the May 14, 2012 PIAA Competitive Cheerleading Steering Committee Conference Call in which he participated as the District II representative. He explained that the planning for the first PIAA State Championship in Competitive Cheer is scheduled for February 3, 2013 and the purpose of the conference call was to discuss in general terms some of the particulars for that competition. The committee discussed the ramifications of a “defined” vs. a “nondefined” season, reviewed the status of competitive cheer currently across the PIAA Districts in the state, the number of classifications that will exist and how they are determined, and safety rules that will be in place. Chris will provide more information as the committee begins to delve into the tough job of establishing the parameters for the Championships. Stay tuned!
· Cross Country (Bill King): The 2012 Cross Country Championships will be held at Elk Lake once again. The major change in Cross Country for the upcoming year is the move from two to three classifications.
· Field Hockey (Chris Gegaris): The Field Hockey Committee will be revisiting the format for the District Championships and will have a revised format available to schools prior to the beginning of the 2012 season.
· Football (Mike Ognosky): The District II Football Committee met recently with officials from District IV and District XI to establish the format for the AAAA subregional tournament. With the new classifications finalized for the next two year cycle, there are 21 AAAA teams with 16 located in District XI, 4 in District II (Delaware Valley, Hazleton Area, Scranton and Wyoming Valley West) and one in District IV (Williamsport). For the next two year cycle, there will be an 8 team tournament with District XI having 6 teams guaranteed in the tournament (37.5 % of their teams) and District II/IV guaranteed 2 teams (40 % of their teams).
· Golf (Joe Farrell): The Committee discussed the site of the District II Girls’ Team Championships (Paupack Hills) and the concern that the course was too difficult and hurt our champion’s chance of making the cut scores required for the PIAA State Regional Championships. Overall, the course was an excellent site for the championship and the committee recommended its continued utilization as a site.
· Lacrosse (Frank Majikes): For the next two year cycle the state championship brackets have the District IV champion hosting the District II champion in a first round game both years. The District II Lacrosse Committee is in discussions with District IV to alternate that site for the cycle – District IV hosting one year, District II the next.
· Softball (Pat Patte): Congratulations to the Valley View Lady Cougars on their outstanding performance in the PIAA AAA Softball Championships culminating with their appearance in the Championship game where they lost a tough 2-1 game. Great season!
· Track and Field (Danielle Adams): The Track and Field Committee is recommending that we continue to utilize the timing system that was in place for this year’s championships. Everything went very well and, despite the additional cost, everyone helped to provide a very efficiently run championship meet.
ITEM 6 At 5:05 p.m., the District II Committee held an eligibility hearing regarding the request of Wyoming Seminary for an additional eligibility for Cheyenne Kimble for the 2012-2013 Field Hockey season. Representatives at the meeting from Wyoming Seminary included Jay Harvey (Dean of the Upper School), Karen Klassner (Varsity Field Hockey Coach), Cheyenne Kimble (Student Athlete), and Robert and Helen Kimble (Parents). Following the introduction of Committee members, the hearing was moved to a closed hearing at the request of Wyoming Seminary. At 5:32 p.m., the hearing concluded and the Committee moved to deliberations. At 5:52 p.m., the Committee returned from deliberations and the following motion was made:
A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Chris Thomas, denying the eligibility request for Cheyenne Kimble, pursuant to Article 8, Section 6, of the PIAA By-Laws and Regulations. All Ayes
ITEM 7A motion was made by Pat Sheehan, seconded by Chris Thomas, to approve the eligibility of Matthew Marshall, Crestwood to Wyoming Seminary, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Section 4, Principal to Principal Sign off, of the PIAA By-Laws, effective immediately. All Ayes
ITEM 8 Meeting dates for the 2012-2013 monthly District II Committee meetings have been established to be held on the third Wednesday of each month. Chairman Majikes will establish the locations and times of the meetings and provide a list to committee members for consideration at our next meeting.
ITEM 9 A motion was made by Jim Higgins, seconded by Chris Thomas, to retain the current officers of the District II Committee for the 2012-2013 school year. All Ayes
The officers for 2012-2013 will remain as follows: Frank Majikes (District Chairperson), Bill King (District Vice Chairperson), Mike Ognosky (Secretary), Frank Victor (Treasurer – Non Voting member.)
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes distributed a thank you note received from Wyoming Valley West Scholar-Athletes Kelcie Hromisin and Paine Fleisher thanking the District II Committee plaques that they received.
ITEM 11 A motion was made by Jim Higgins, seconded by Pat Sheehan, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:35 p.m.
District II Secretary