Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, Eric Emmerich, Bill King, Mike Ognosky, Vito Quaglia
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the minutes of the February 25, 2013 meeting. All Ayes.
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s Report as of March 20, 2013. In the report, Frank Victor informed the committee that a total of $16,558 will be redistributed to the schools following the District II Basketball Championships. Following discussion, a motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Frank Galicki, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as given. All Ayes
ITEM 4 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): Chairman Majikes thanked committee members for their assistance in the recently completed District II Basketball Championships. A special congratulations to Holy Cross, as they will be playing in the 2013 Boys AA Basketball State Championship game to be played at Hershey’s Giant Center on Saturday, March 23rd at 3 p.m.
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Chairman Starnes announced that the 2014 District II Wrestling Championships will be held at the Kingston Armory. He also thanked committee members for their assistance with a very successful 2013 District II Dual and Individual Championship tournament despite contending with weather concerns.
· Swimming (Jim Higgins): Jim commented on the recently completed District II Swimming Championships and congratulated Scranton Prep’s Mia Nonnnenberg on her state championship in the 500 meter freestyle at the 2013 Swimming and Diving Championships recently conducted in Bucknell.
· Football (Mike Ognosky): Chairman Majikes reviewed with Committee members the Ad Hoc Comprehensive Football Committee Report. He thoroughly discussed the “Pre-Season Heat Acclimatization Guidelines” proposal that will before the state committee for action.
· Lacrosse (Frank Majikes): The WVC Lacrosse League now has both a boys’ and girls’ league with 7 teams in each. The league schedule has just begun.
· Public Relations and Corporate Sponsors (Bill Schoen): A meeting will be held with representatives from Geisinger Hospital on Monday, April 8th regarding the potential for a District II sponsorship.
ITEM 5: At 4:45 p.m., the District II Committee moved interrupted the regular scheduled Business Meeting for the purpose of conducting an eligibility hearing at the request of Valley View High School. Valley View was seeking a waiver of Article VIII, Period of Participation, of the PIAA By-Laws, on behalf of one of their students. Chairman Majikes introduced the representatives present from Valley High School including Pete Chapla, Principal of Valley View High School; Chris Killiany, Athletic Director of Valley View; George Howanitz, Head Football Coach at Valley View; Brian Kearney, Head Track Coach at Valley View; Rob Castellani, Valley View student; Jackie Castellani, Student’s mother; Vanessa Castellani, Student’s sister; Andrea Castellani, Student’s Grandmother; and, Ryan Castellani, Student’s Uncle. At this point, and at the request of Valley View, the hearing was closed and all visitors were asked to leave the room. The hearing began at 4:55 p.m. and remained closed while the hearing was being conducted. At 6 p.m., immediately following the conclusion of the hearing, the District II Committee went into deliberations and returned to public session at 6:25 p.m. Upon return to public session, a motion was made by Chris Gegaris, seconded by Pat Patte, to deny the request for waiver of Article VIII of the PIAA By-Laws for Rob Castellani. All Ayes
ITEM 6 The following motions were made and acted upon by the District II Committee regarding student eligibility requests:
· A motion was made by Tim Honeywell, seconded by Maureen Williams, granting immediate eligibility to Justin O’Dell, Wallenpaupack to Delaware Valley, in accordance with Article VI, Section 4, Athletic Transfer Waiver, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes.
· A motion was made by Joe Farrell, seconded by Chris Thomas, granting immediate eligibility to Jonathan Young, Benton to Northwest Area, in accordance with Article VI, Section 4, Athletic Transfer Waiver, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes.
· A motion was made by Al Holtzer, seconded by Pat Sheehan, to grant immediate eligibility to Julia Dominquez, Spain to Northwest Area, in accordance with Article VII, Foreign Exchange Student. All Ayes
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes updated the District II Committee on the status of the utilization of PNC Park for the District II Baseball Championships on Monday, Mary 27th (Memorial Day). Chairman Majikes shared with the Committee members communication with the PIAA State Office to ensure that all steps have been taken in regard to liability insurance, indemnification clauses, etc. in the agreement with the SWB Rail Riders for the utilization of the stadium venue.
ITEM 9Congratulations to Tim Honeywell, Athletic Director of Berwick, on the announcement that he has been named the Pennsylvania State Athletic Director Association’s Athletic Director of the Year for 2013.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes reviewed correspondence from Mt. View’s Varsity Boys’ Soccer Coach and his request to meet with the District II Committee. The request was referred to the President of the Lackawanna Interscholastic Athletic Association.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes informed the Committee that the Annual District II Business Meeting has been tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at Arcaro & Genell’s in Old Forge.
ITEM 12 A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Maureen Williams, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 7: 10 p.m.
District II Secretary