Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
ITEM 2 Absent but accounted for: Bill King, Vito Quaglia, Danielle Adams, Mike Costanza, Eric Emmerich, Joe Farrell, Chris Thomas
Public in attendance: Don Rogers, Steve Bennett and Al Holtzer
A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Pat Sheehan, to approve the minutes of the April 11, 2012 Meeting. All Ayes
Chairman Majikes welcomed the two new Athletic Directors as members of the Committee: Al Holtzer from Delaware Valley and Tim Honeywell from Berwick. They will assume their new positions on July 1, 2012.
ITEM 3Frank Victor presented the treasurer’s report. The report consisted of a review of the basketball revenues and expenses. As of May 9, 2012, the District total fund balance stands at $120,286.88. Included in the balance was a total Certificates of Deposit of $72,858.74; and a total Savings and Checking Accounts total of $47,428.14. A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 4 At this point in the meeting (4:30 p.m.), a formal hearing was conducted with representatives of GAR High School regarding the number of disqualifications during the 2011-2012 school year. At the request of the Principal of GAR, Colleen Robatin, the meeting remained open to the public. In attendance at the meeting were the following:
GAR: Colleen Robatin (Principal), Simon Peter (Athletic Director), Paul Weidlich (Varsity Football Coach), Paul Brown (Varsity Basketball Coach), Len Witzak (Varsity Soccer Coach), Rick Simon (Varsity Wrestling Coach), and Hattie Caruso (Varsity Girls’ Basketball Coach).
District II Committee members included Mike Ognosky, Frank Galicki, Jim Higgins, Chris Gegaris, Pat Sheehan, Maureen Williams, Jay Starnes, Pat Patte, Frank Majikes, Frank Victor, Bill Schoen, and District II Solicitor Don Rogers.
Public Present included Al Holtzer and Steve Bennett (Citizens’ Voice).
The hearing was conducted in accordance with PIAA By-Laws and Regulations to determine if GAR was in violation of Article 10, “Local Management and Control” due to the number of ejections of student athletes during the current 2011-2012 school year. In total, the committee reviewed the circumstances involving the suspension of a Varsity Football Player (9/12 vs. Old Forge), 3 Varsity Soccer Players (10/5 vs. Pittston, and two on 10/17 vs. Nanticoke), 3 Varsity/Junior Varsity Boys’ Basketball Players (12/9 vs. Coughlin, 1/19 vs. Wyoming Seminary, 2/7 vs. Northwest Area) and a Junior Varsity Girls’ Basketball Player (2/9 vs. Nanticoke). The Committee reviewed written material supplied by each game official as well as the administrations’ response to those reports. Numerous questions were asked regarding the incidents and the administrations’ actions in response to each. The Committee also investigated current procedures in place at GAR to be proactive in stressing appropriate sportsmanship on the part of the players. Following all of the testimony, the Committee went into deliberation at 5:47 p.m. Committee members Pat Patte, Maureen Williams, and Frank Majikes did not take part in the deliberations.
At 6:02 p.m., the Committee returned from deliberations and the following motion was made:
A motion was made by Pat Sheehan, seconded by Chris Gegaris, as follows: The District II Committee is requiring as a result of this hearing, that the Principal and Athletic Director of Wilkes-Barre GAR High School develop a comprehensive action plan to address the number of disqualifications of student-athletes in the 2011-2012 school year and the steps taken to correct the number of disqualifications in the future. Furthermore, the Principal and the Athletic Director are to present that plan to the District II Chairman for review by the District II Committee at the August, 2012 meeting. All Ayes (Majikes, Williams, Patte abstain)
ITEM 5 Bill Schoen presented a reminder to the Committee of the upcoming event at the University of Scranton honoring P. J. Carlesimo and featuring Bill Raftery as the guest speaker. Any interested Committee member was reminded that tickets are available.
ITEM 6 A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Pat Sheehan, providing Fox 56 with the rights to broadcast the upcoming District II AAA Track and Field Championships from Scranton Memorial Stadium at a rate of $1,000.
ITEM 7 Spring Sports Reports:
· Baseball (Frank Majikes): Dates for the upcoming District II Baseball Championships have been changed as follows: AA and AAA will be on May 22, 24, 29, and 31. A and AAAA will be held on May 23, 25, and 30.
· Softball (Pat Patte): Dates for the upcoming District II Softball Championships have been changed as follows: AA and AAA will be on May 21, 23, 25 and 30. A and AAAA will be held on May 24, 29, and 31.
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): The PIAA Committee reviewed the results of the recently conducted survey of District II member schools regarding the format for the Basketball Championships. Member schools strongly favored the return to the open tournament format, slightly favored the regional vs. traditional state tournament brackets, and did not favor the utilization of the current PIAA point system for football in determining the seeding of the AAAA Basketball tournament.
· Field Hockey (Frank Majikes): Chairman Majikes presented to the Committee correspondence from Juliann DeFalco, Varsity Field Hockey Coach at Holy Redeemer, offering a proposal for consideration for the next cycle of District Field Hockey Championships. Chairman Majikes asked committee members to review the proposal for discussion at the next Committee meeting on June 20th.
· Tennis (Mike Ognosky): Chairman Majikes presented to the committee an email received from the Athletic Director at Jersey Shore High School offering a proposal for consideration for the next cycle of the PIAA District II/IV Tennis subregional seeding process. Chairman Majikes asked committee members to review the proposal for discussion at the next Committee meeting on June 20th.
· Volleyball (Maureen Williams): Maureen reviewed the procedures for the upcoming AA Boys’ Volleyball Championships scheduled for May 21, 22 and 24 with the championships to be held at Scranton High School.
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes reviewed the schedule of the Spring State Sports’ Workshops to be held at the PIAA Offices on Thursday-Friday, June 21-22.
Thursday, June 21st Track and Field 10 a.m.
Lacrosse 10 a.m.
Friday, June 22nd Officials’ Council 8 a.m.
Girls’ Athletics 10 a.m.
Sportsmanship 10 a.m.
Junior High Noon
Private Schools Noon
Athletic Directors 2 p.m.
ITEM 9 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Bill Schoen, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:29 p.m.
District II Secretary