Meeting was convened at 4:25 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:25 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Fred Barletta, Chris Gegaris, Bill King, Jay Starnes, Chad Vinansky, and Frank Victor
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Chris Thomas, to approve the minutes of the October 20, 2015 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 There was not a Treasurer’s Report at today’s meeting.
ITEM 4 Sports Reports – the following reports were presented at today’s meeting –
· Basketball (Frank Majikes): Chairman Majikes updated the Committee on the most recent meeting with the Mohegan Sun Arena officials announcing the scheduling of the District Basketball Championships. He thanked Mr. Brian Sipp, Executive Director of the Mohegan Sun Arena, and his staff for their efforts and collaboration in making it a success. Following a discussion of the potential schedule of the Championships at the Arena, a motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Danielle Adams, to approve the following schedule:
Friday, February 27th 4:30 p.m. Girls AA Final
Friday, February 27th 6:30 p.m. Girls AAAA Final
Friday, February 27th 8:30 p.m. Boys AAA Final
Saturday, February 28th Noon Girls A Final
Saturday, February 28th 2:00 p.m. Boys A Final
Saturday, February 28th 4:00 p.m. Girls AAA Final
Saturday, February 28th 6:00 p.m. Boys AA Final
Saturday, February 28th 8:00 p.m. Boys AAAA Final
Following additional discussion, a motion was made by Joe Farrell, seconded by Chris Thomas, to not accept any PIAA District II Gold Card Passes for the Basketball Championships at the Arena. All Ayes
· Football (Mike Ognosky): With the completion of the early rounds of the tournament, Chairman Majikes offered a thanks to all of the member schools that have hosted playoff games and made the post season a very successful event to this point. Also, thanks to all of those committee members that served as game managers, assistant game managers and site workers.
· Cross Country (Bill King): Bill King thanked the administration of the Elk Lake School District for their willingness to work with the Cross Country Committee in developing an appropriate rates’ schedule for the recently conducted District II Cross Country Championships.
· Golf (Joe Farrell): Chairman Joe Farrell presented the Financial Report for the 2015 District II Golf Championships. The report included a summary of the Boys & Girls Individual Championships held on October 12, 2015 at the Elmhurst Country Club; and the Team Golf Championships held on October 9, 2015 at Fox Hill Country Club. The report, which did not reflect the cost of plaques and medals, showed a total profit of $65.29. A motion was made by John Coyle, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the report as submitted. All Ayes
· Volleyball (Maureen Williams): Chairman Maureen Williams presented the 2015 Girls’ Volleyball Financial Report to the committee. Maureen also thanked the administrations at Wilkes University and North Pocono for their assistance in hosting the district championships. The report showed a total profit of $1,171. A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Eric Emmerich, to accept the report as submitted. All Ayes
· Swimming (Fred Barletta): Chairman Majikes explained that there is a potential concern in the diving competition in regard to the depth of the pool, height of the board, etc. Continued discussion will be held at a future meeting prior to the championships.
· Tennis (John Coyle): Chairman Coyle offered a brief report on the recently concluded Girls’ Tennis Championships. A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the report as submitted. All Ayes
· Wrestling (Jay Starnes): Chairman Starnes discussed the upcoming Wrestling Championships and explained he will have a completed format for consideration at the December meeting.
· Awards (Bill Schoen): An extensive discussion was held regarding the awarding of medals to the football champions and runners up and the reading of each participants’ name. Items discussed included weather conditions, time, safety, and losing teams remaining on the field during the presentation. Following the discussion, a motion was made by John Coyle, seconded by Vito Quaglia, that the current procedures of awarding medals be continued for this year’s championships. However, beginning with the new cycle, medals will be given to each team and the awarding of the championship plaque will be given on the field without the reading of the names of the players and coaches. All Ayes
· Officials (Maureen Williams & Bill Schoen): After considerable discussion on the current system of assigning officials to district playoff game, it was decided to change the format for the next cycle and work on an assigning system that will guarantee that the “best” officials be assigned to work playoff games regardless of their league affiliation. Discussion meetings on this matter will be scheduled and a recommendation will be brought to the committee for action.
ITEM 5 Chairman Majikes distributed a copy of a potential “District II Power Rating System” that is under consideration for future seeding purposes. A copy has been provided to league officials’ for consideration. Continued discussions will take place on this material.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes distributed the schedule of the Fall Sports’ Workshops to be held at the PIAA State Offices on Wednesday, December 9, 2015. The schedule is as follows –
Tennis 10 a.m.
Cross Country 10 a.m.
Field Hockey 2 p.m.
Football 2 p.m.
ITEM 7 A motion was made by Fred Barletta, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to approve the immediate eligibility of Kierstyn Brady, Holy Cross to Mid Valley, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Principal to Principal Sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 8 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that Fred Barletta has been named the Eastern Regional Athletic Director of the Year. Congratulations Fred!
ITEM 9 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Vito Quaglia, to approve a cooperative agreement in Wrestling between Scranton and Mid Valley.
All paperwork is in order and processed. All Ayes
ITEM 10 In continued discussions, the Committee welcomed back Chris Kucharski,
NPF High School Sports Network, regarding the development of an agreement between NPF and District II in the broadcasting of the various District II Championships in all sports. Mr. Kucharski reviewed his proposal with the committee and included his coverage proposal and rights’ fee proposal for the Committee’s consideration. He also provided a copy of his media kit and an example of a sale sheet for potential sponsors. Following the presentation, the committee explained that the materials will be reviewed and Chairman Majikes would get back to him with any further questions or concerns.
ITEM 11 A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.
THE NEXT MEETING IS TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15TH AT 4:15 PM AT THE WILKES-BARRE AREA CAREER & TECHNOLOGY CENTER. CHAIRMAN MAJIKES WILL BE CONTACTING THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS WITH FURTHER DETAILS.
District II Secretary