Meeting was convened at 4:20 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:20 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Jim Marcks, Danielle Adams, and Don Kanavy
Advisors Present: Phil Latinski, Jim Sabatini, and District II Solicitor Don Rogers
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Ray Lowery, seconded by Dino Galella, to approve the minutes of the October 15, 2008 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor, District II Treasurer, presented the current status of the District II fund balance as of November 18, 2008. The District currently has two Certificates of Deposit totaling $70,068.22 as well as a total Savings and Checking Account balance of $70,500l.39 for a current total fund balance of $140,568.61. Our starting fund balance for fiscal year 2007-2008 was $129,157.54 while our starting fund balance for fiscal year 2008-2009 was $139,668.43; an increase in the fund balance of $10,510.89. Following the report, a motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Jay Starnes, to approve the report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 4 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that Mike Ognosky and he had attended the two appeal hearings that were held on Friday, November 14th at the PIAA State Offices. In both cases, the original decisions by the District II Committee and the District II/IV Regional panel were upheld.
ITEM 5 SPORTS REPORTS:
· Field Hockey (Jeff Gregory): Jeff was pleased to announce that the District II Field Hockey AA Champion, Wyoming Seminary, went on to win their second state championship in three years.
· Football (Tom Jenkins): The Football playoffs are moving into the final weekend of district competition and the first weekend of state competition, depending on the classification. A discussion was held regarding our current television broadcasting fees. Chairman Jenkins also reminded the committee that next year we will be holding a four team AA tournament rather than this year’s six team tournament. District II and District XI both have 12 AA teams and the state bracket will be switched for 2009. District II will be allowed two playing dates to determine their champion and District XI will be allowed three playing dates to determine their champion – the reverse of this year.
· Soccer (Vito Quaglia): Vito thanked all those who assisted with the district playoffs, with special thanks to Irv DeRemer, Al Holtzer, Tom Rokita, Bob Coleman, Dave Mattes and Jack Kelly at each of their sites.
· Volleyball (Maureen Williams): Maureen presented the financial report for the recently completed District Championships and thanked all those who assisted.
· Golf (Ray Lowery): Ray thanked Mark Kirsten and Charlie Turco for their able assistance and Elmhurst Country Club and Fox Hill Country Club for hosting our events
· Tennis (Mike Ognosky): Mike thanked Joe Lalli for his outstanding work in the recently completed tennis championships.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes announced the schedule for the Fall Sports’
Workshops to be held at the PIAA State Offices on Thursday, December
10:00 Cross Country
Noon Field Hockey
ITEM 7 The District II Committee took the following eligibility actions in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Principal-to-Principal sign offs:
(a.) A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Tom Jenkins, to approve the eligibility of Joshua Bennett, Hanover Area to Wyoming Valley West, effective immediately. All Ayes
(b.) A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Joe Lalli, to approve the eligibility of Allison Brudzinski, Pittston Area to Scranton, effective immediately. All Ayes
(c.) A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Jeff Gregory, to approve the eligibility of Lillian Farmer, Northwest Area to Berwick, effective immediately. All Ayes
(d.) A motion was made by Joe Lalli, seconded by Tom Jenkins, to approve the eligibility of Mary Elizabeth Jurado, St.Anthony’s, Texas to Holy Redeemer, effective immediately. All Ayes
(e.) A motion was made by Jay Starnes, seconded by Jeff Gregory, to approve the eligibility of Lauren Orlando, Dallas to Holy Redeemer, effective immediately. All Ayes
ITEM 8 Valley View and Scranton presented preliminary reports regarding a fighting incident following the Valley View-Scranton football contest of Friday, October 31st. Following the reports, Chairman Majikes requested that Joe Lalli, Officials’ Representative, contact the crew working the game in order to obtain any follow up information. Following that report, the District will make a decision on any future actions.
ITEM 9 Chairman Majikes provided each committee member with a multi page hand out regarding the issue of “hazing” in high school athletics. Committee members were asked to review all of the materials.
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes reported to the committee that he had received an email questioning the residency of two current Wyoming Valley West athletes. The matter will be remanded to the school and officials will report back to the committee with their findings.
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes reviewed the Dallas Sportsmanship report that was submitted to his office by the administration of the Dallas Area School District as directed by the recently conducted District II/IV Regional Panel that investigated an incident at the Dallas-Williamsport Area football game of August 30, 2008.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes reported that there are five candidates for the position
of Male Officials’ Representative on the District II Committee that will be
vacated by Joe Lalli. Elections will be held shortly with ballots submitted
to the PIAA State Office. The State Office will notify the District
Chairman with the results.
ITEM 13 Chairman Majikes reviewed the contact information of the current District II Committee members. That information has been posted to the “District Committee” section of the front page of the web page. Current
members are asked to review the information and contact Mike Ognosky
if any corrections are required.
ITEM 14 A motion was made by Joe Lalli, seconded by Mike Costanza, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 5:26 p.m.
THE NEXT MEETING IS SCHEDULED ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 17TH AT 4:15 PMATVALLEYVIEWSENIOR HIGH SCHOOL.
District II Secretary