Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, Eric Emmerich, Joseph Farrell, Jim Higgins, Al Holtzer, Chris Jones, Bill King, Mike Ognosky, Pat Sheehan, Jay Starnes
Advisors Present: District II Solicitor Don Rogers
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the minutes of the October 15, 2013 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor, District II Treasurer, presented the treasurer’s report. As of November 26, 2013 the District II Fund Balance is $168,490.54. That includes $12,556.01 in a Certificate of Deposit, $66,444.37 in PNC Money Market Savings Account, and $89,490.16 in our checking account. The beginning fund balance as of July 1, 2013 was $182,926.56 and the fund balance reflects the most recent expenditures as a result of various fall championships that have been conducted. At the conclusion of the report, a motion was made by Vito Quaglia, seconded by Bill Schoen, to approve the treasurer’s report as presented. All Ayes
ITEM 4 At this point, the District II Committee began a scheduled eligibility hearing with Wyoming Seminary regarding the participation of an ineligible soccer player in two (2) pre-season scrimmages. Jay Harvey, Dean of the Wyoming Seminary Upper School, and Karen Klassner, Wyoming Seminary Athletic Director, were in attendance representing Wyoming Seminary in the hearing. Wyoming Seminary representatives distributed a time line of the events that led to that participation and addressed all questions presented by the members of the District II Committee. At 4:40 p.m., the District II Committee went into executive session to discuss the facts presented at the hearing. At 5:05 p.m., the District II Committee returned from executive session. A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Frank Galicki, as follows:
· The Wyoming Seminary Athletic Program is placed on probation for a period of one (1) year from November 26, 2013 through November 26, 2014.
· The Girls’ Head Soccer Coach must participate in a Coaching Education program to be arranged in conjunction with the District II Chairman to include but not limited to PIAA Rules and Regulations regarding student-athlete eligibility.
· The Girls’ Head Soccer Coach is prohibited from coaching for two (2) scrimmages for the 2014-2015 season.
· The Wyoming Seminary Administration is to forward information/documentation to the District II Chairman within thirty (30) days indicating the procedures the administration will implement in order to prevent further violations of the PIAA Rules and Regulations.
· The Girls’ Head Soccer Coach was responsible for the violation and is hereby publicly censured.
Motion carried All Ayes
ITEM 5 Sports Reports – the following reports were presented at today’s meeting –
· Baseball: Chairman Frank Majikes commented that the District II Baseball Championships will once again be held at PNC Field and are set for Memorial Day, Monday, May 26, 2014. Details will be released as the date approaches.
· Basketball: The District II Basketball Committee will meet following the Christmas Holiday in order to establish the dates and procedures for the 2014 Championships. Information will be disseminated to the member schools following that meeting.
· Cheerleading: Chairman Chris Gegaris presented a report on the recently completed District II Competitive Cheer Championships held at Delaware Valley High School on November 17, 2013. Congratulations to District II Champion Hazleton Area and all of the schools that qualified for the PIAA State Championships.
· Football: The Committee just completed the 2013 championships. Thanks to all of the member schools that hosted playoff games and made the post season a very successful event. Also, thanks to all of those committee members that served as game managers, assistant game managers and site workers.
· Lacrosse: A discussion was held regarding the potential changes in the Lacrosse league structure as more schools begin to add Lacrosse, both boys’ and girls’ programs, to their current athletic programs.
· Volleyball: Chairman Maureen Williams presented the 2013 Girls’ Volleyball Financial Report to the committee. Maureen is also working on a revised championship format for the next two year cycle and will present it to the committee for consideration in the near future. A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Bill Schoen, to accept the report as submitted. All Ayes
· Wrestling: Pat Patte reported that Chairman Jay Starnes, and other District II Wrestling Committee members, are scheduled to meet at the Kingston Armory, site of this year’s championships, on December 17th in order to review all of the particulars for the tournament with Armory officials.
ITEM 6 A motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Chad Vinansky, to approve the immediate eligibility of Michael Mann, Crestwood to Coughlin, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Principal to Principal Sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 7 A motion was made by Fred Barletta, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the immediate eligibility of Angelo Rescigno, West Scranton to Valley View, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Principal to Principal Sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 8 A motion was made by Chris Thomas, seconded by Bill Schoen, to approve the immediate eligibility of Cathrine Rose, Lake-Lehman to Holy Redeemer, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Principal to Principal Sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 9 A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to approve the immediate eligibility of Kristian Winn, Scranton to Valley View, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Principal to Principal Sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 10 A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Vito Quaglia, to approve the immediate eligibility of Victoria Castro, Ecuador to Northwest Area, in accordance with Article VII, Foreign Exchange Students. All Ayes
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes reviewed the scheduling of the PIAA State Fall Sports Workshops to be conducted at the PIAA State Offices in Mechanicsburg on Thursday, December 8th:
Tennis 10 a.m. Pat Sheehan
Cross Country 10 a.m. Bill King
Volleyball 10 a.m. Maureen Williams
Soccer Noon Al Holtzer
Field Hockey Noon Chris Gegaris
Football Noon Mike Ognosky
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes presented a thank you card received from the family of Ed Walsh, a former District II Committee member who recently passed.
ITEM 13 Chairman Majikes reviewed the written report submitted by Valley View in response to an October eligibility hearing decision requiring a detailed summary from the Valley View administration regarding safeguards to be
put in place to screen transferring students regarding eligibility. The report was quite detailed and the committee conducted a thorough review of the contents. Following that review, a motion was made by Chris Gegaris, s
seconded by Bill Schoen, to accept the report and to commend the Valley View Administration on the thoroughness of their efforts. All Ayes
ITEM 14 Chairman Majikes provided Committee members with a communication from the state office that outlined the classification breakdown for the next two year cycle (2014-15 and 2015-16). Member schools are scheduled to receive that breakdown as well in the next few weeks.
ITEM 15 Chairman Majikes also provided Committee members with an article announcing that the PIAA has joined 27 other state associations in joining the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) in the new NFHS Network, the new all-digital network devoted to coverage of high school sports and performing arts through the Internet at www.NFHSnetwork.com.
ITEM 16 The Committee discussed the current status of the District II coaching initiative done in conjunction with the University of Scranton and the Positive Coaching Alliance. With the advent of the PIAA directive that Coaching Education will be mandatory by July 1, 2016 the committee directed Chairman Majikes to continue discussions with University of Scranton representatives in order to gauge their interest in continuing the current initiative as we move forward. Chairman Majikes will report back to the committee at a future meeting.
ITEM 15 A motion was made by Maureen Williams, seconded by Chris Gegaris, to adjourn the meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.
THE NEXT MEETING IS TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 17TH AT 4:15 PM AT THE WILKES-BARRE AREA CAREER & TECHNOLOGY CENTER. CHAIRMAN MAJIKES WILL BE CONTACTING THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS WITH FURTHER DETAILS.
District II Secretary