Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Ray Lowery, James Marcks, Ross Scarantino
Advisors Present: Dolores Dalickas, Marty Lawler
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Jim Sabatini, to approve the minutes of the September 21, 2005 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s Report. He reported a current fund balance (as of October 20, 2005) of $126,197.82. The financial report for the year ending June 30, 2005 showed expenses of $298,981.86 and receipts of $306,702, with a final balance for the year of $133,794.23 – a net profit for the year of $7,720.14. Frank also reported a total return to member schools of $59,005 for their participation in District II playoffs during the course of the 2004-05 championship seasons.
A motion was made by Tom Finan, seconded by Maureen Williams, to approve the treasurer’s report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 SPORTS REPORTS:
a.) Field Hockey (Tom Finan): Tom reported that the Field Hockey seeding meeting was going to be held this evening, October 21, 2005 at Patte’sin Wilkes-Barre. The brackets for the tournament will be put on the website as soon as they are announced.
b.) Football (Tom Jenkins): Tom presented the latest District II Football standings to the committee and reminded them that they can be found on Monday’s at www.piaad2.org. Also the updated AAA and AAAA subregional standings can be found at www.piaad11.org on Monday’s. He reminded committee members that the District II football playoff meeting for all teams participating would be held at the Victoria Inn in Pittston on Monday, November 7th at Noon. Discussion was held regarding the possible subregional playoff games in AAA and AAAA that could result in being District II championship games as well. The subregional format calls for those games to be played at the home site and he asked the committee opinion regarding a District II championship game being played on a home site under this format. After discussion, a motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Frank Galicki, that any contest that would determine the District II Champion in a classification would be played on a neutral field. 13 Ayes, 1 Nay
Chairman Majikes then distributed the current football state playoff bracket and the proposed bracket for the 2006 and 2007 playoffs that will be considered at the next state meeting. After discussion, the committee gave its support for the proposed format.
c.) Golf (Tony Rusnak): Tony reported that all of the district playoffs in golf went off well culminating with today’s team championship won by Scranton Prep.
d.) Soccer (Ray Lowery): In Ray’s absence, Chairman Majikes announced that the soccer district seeding meeting would be held at Wyoming Valley West next Wednesday, October 26th beginning at 7 p.m.
e.) Tennis (Mike Ognosky): Mike reported that all of the district playoffs in girls’ tennis had been completed and the first round of the state playoffs would be held next Tuesday, October 25th with our AA and AAA champions hosting first round action at Kirby Park beginning at 2 p.m.
f.) Volleyball (Maureen Williams): Maureen presented the format for the District Volleyball championships that will begin with the AA opening round on Monday, October 31st. A will follow on Tuesday, November 1st and the finals will be held on Thursday, November 3rd.
g.) Cross Country (Bill King): Bill announced that all is ready for the District Junior High Championships to be held this Saturday, October 22nd at 10:30 a.m. at McDade Park and the District Varsity Championships to be held on Wednesday, October 26th at Noon at Scranton Municipal Golf Course. Chip timing will be utilized in both meets.
ITEM 5 Chairman Majikes reviewed the remaining meeting dates for the District II Committee for the 2005-06 school year. The only change announced was the change of the June date from June 21st to June 14th.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes reviewed the following items from the most recent PIAA State Board of Directors meeting held on October 12th:
· The approval of the application of St. Rose Academy as a PIAA member school effective July 1, 2005
· Discussion of the consideration by PDE for the elimination of the physical education requirement for athletes involved in a current interscholastic sport
· Discussion of the need for sports’ officials to acquire background checks prior to working in interscholastic contests
· Discussion of the requirement for a lifeguard (other than the coach) to be on site for all practices and meets
· Discussion of the PIAA battle regarding not moving the girls’ soccer championships to the fall season
· Discussion of the request for school districts to pay sports officials on site prior to the contest
· The approval of two classes in boys’ volleyball and girls’ soccer for the 2006-07 year
· The approval of corporate sponsorships in PIAA interscholastic sports
· The distribution of anti-smoking literature to all member schools
· Proposed amendments to the by-laws including amendments revising the definition of amateur status, attendance due to a court order, transfers, period of participation, advertising regulations and officials fees.
· Discussion of the revision of the current golf state championships so that the boys’ and girls’ championships are at the same site
· Establishment of the PIAA Wrestling Weight Certification Program so that the state is in compliance with National Federation wrestling rules that create the establishment of a lowest allowable weight class for each wrestler based on body fat percentage; the establishment of a safe weight loss descent play that allows for no more than a 1.5 % lose of his body weight per week; and all wrestlers should receive education specific to nutrition and weight management.
ITEM 7 A motion was made by Tony Rusnak, seconded by Phil Cappellini, to approve the eligibility of Matt Koledjejchick, from Wyoming Valley West to Bishop Hoban, in accordance with Article VI, PIAA by-laws, principal to principal sign off. All Ayes (Jim Higgins abstain)
ITEM 8 A motion was made by Jim Sabatini, seconded by Mike Costanza, to approve the eligibility of Kaylin Cullen, from Scranton Prep to Bishop Hannan, in accordance with Article VI, PIAA by-laws, principal to principal sign off. All Ayes (Joe Lalli abstain)
ITEM 9 A motion was made by Frank Galicki, seconded by Bob King, to approve the eligibility of Francisco Tutella, from Wilkes-Barre Meyers to Bishop Hannan, in accordance with Article VI, PIAA by-laws, principal to principal sign off. All Ayes (Bob Okrasinski abstain)
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes announced the schedule for the Fall Sports Workshops to be conducted at PIAA Headquarters on Wednesday, December 14th:
Cross Country 10:00 AM
Field Hockey Noon
Soccer 2:00 PM
Football 4:00 PM
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes reported that there have been two candidate applications received for the vacant Girls Athletics position available on the District II Committee. The committee will review the applications and select a candidate at the November meeting.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes reminded committee members of the upcoming Sunday, December 4th meeting to be held at the Scranton Country Club.
ITEM 13 The District II Committee discussed the location for the 2006 banquet and after a brief discussion asked Chairman Majikes to contact the PittstonConvention Center regarding the availability of the Convention Center for April 19, 2006. Chairman Majikes will report back at the November meeting.
ITEM 14 A motion was made by Phil Cappellini, seconded by Mike Costanza, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:02 p.m.
District II Secretary