Meeting was convened at 4:15 p.m. by Chairman Frank Majikes
ITEM 1 Chairman Majikes called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Absent but accounted for: Danielle Adams, Joe Farrell, Don Kanavy and Jay Starnes
ITEM 2 A motion was made by Tom Jenkins, seconded by Frank Galicki, to approve the minutes of the September 15, 2010 meeting. All Ayes
ITEM 3 Frank Victor presented the Treasurer’s Report. As of October 20, 2010 the District II Total Fund Balance is $88, 088.91. That includes a total of $72,157.85 in Total Certificates of Deposit and $15,931.06 in Total Savings and Checking Accounts.
Following the completion of the report, a motion was made by Jim Marcks, seconded by Pat Patte, to approve the treasurer’s report as submitted. All Ayes
ITEM 4 Chairman Majikes asked all Fall Sports’ Chairpersons to review the medal and plaques list for the upcoming District Playoffs to ensure the correct number for their championships.
ITEM 5 Chairman Majikes reviewed the report from the last PIAA State Board of Directors meeting held on October 7th and 8th at the State Offices. Some of the discussion highlighted included:
· Approval of the PIAA Foundation audited financial statements for the year ended June 30, 2010;
· First reading of amendments to Article VII, Powers and Duties of Board of Directors and Officers; Article V, Organization and Authority; Article I, Age; Article III, Attendance; Article VIII, Period of Participation; and, Article XII, Athletic Relations.
· Heard 6 PIAA member Senior High School appeals from PIAA District Committees’ decisions on athletic eligibility.
ITEM 6 Chairman Majikes also explained that the PIAA State Board of Directors had also accepted the PIAA Strategic Planning Committee recommendation to survey the respective PIAA constituencies regarding the foundation issue of enrollment classifications. Chairman Majikes will distribute the information to schools in the Wyoming Valley Conference and Vice Chairman Tom Jenkins will distribute the information to schools in the Lackawanna Interscholastic Athletic Association.
ITEM 7 The PIAA Fall Sports’ Workshops will be held at the PIAA State Offices on Thursday, December 9, 2010. Workshops are scheduled in Tennis, Cross Country, Volleyball, Soccer, Field Hockey, and Football. Those steering committees will meet throughout the day and the respective District II Chairpersons will represent District II at those meetings.
ITEM 8 The District II Committee acted upon requests to grant eligibility to the following foreign exchange students:
· A motion was made by Jeff Gregory, seconded by Bill Schoen, to approve eligibility for Ludwig Roth, Germany to Dallas, in accordance with Article VII, Foreign Exchange Students, International Students, and Foreign Students. All Ayes
· A motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Tom Jenkins, to approve eligibility for Jana Schwurz, Germany to Tunkhannock, in accordance with Article VII, Foreign Exchange Students, International Students, and Foreign Students. All Ayes
· A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Bill King, to approve eligibility for Rodrigo Zumulla, Peru to Tunkhannock, in accordance with Article VII, Foreign Exchange Students, International Students, and Foreign Students. All Ayes
ITEM 9 The District II Committee acted upon requests to grant eligibility to the following student transfers:
· A motion was made by Gerald Grimaud, seconded by Jim Higgins, to approve eligibility for Margaret Kuchinski, Riverside to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
· A motion was made by Pat Patte, seconded by Mike Costanza, to approve eligibility for Connor Duffy, West Scranton to Holy Cross, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
· A motion was made by Mike Ognosky, seconded by Jeff Gregory, to approve eligibility for Bryan Brown, Holy Redeemer to Dallas, in accordance with Article VI, Transfers, Residence, and Recruiting, Principal to Principal sign off. All Ayes
ITEM 10 Chairman Majikes presented reports from Joseph Farrell, Principal of Carbondale Area High School, and R. Scott Jeffery, Principal of Blue Ridge High School, on their respective schools’ plans of action regarding the assurance that their athletic programs will remain in compliance with the PIAA “First Regular Season Contest Dates.” The schools had participated in a boys’ soccer game on September 2, 2010 – one day prior to the first legal playing date for that sports’ season. The playing of that contest resulted in a double forfeit by the teams for that contest.
The committee reviewed the written statements provided and a motion was made by Bill Schoen, seconded by Jim Marcks, to accept the reports as presented with no further action to be taken by the committee. All Ayes
ITEM 11 Chairman Majikes updated the committee on a recent PIAA State Board of Directors Appeal Board hearing on a case initially ruled on by the PIAA District II Committee. He reported that the State Appeals’ Board upheld the District II ruling. He also asked for additional comments from Tom Jenkins and Jeff Gregory, District II Committee Members, who assisted the chairperson at the appeals’ hearing.
ITEM 12 Chairman Majikes advised the committee that the State House of Representatives had recently passed by a vote of 169-29 the Safety in Youth Sports Act, designed to improve concussion management in youth sports and to increase awareness regarding the devastating, life-long effects they can cause when not handled properly. That legislation would require that if a high school or junior high school athlete sustains a concussion or brain injury, they could not return to play unless cleared by a medial professional properly trained in concussion management. The act would also require an athlete and their parent or guardian to annually sign a concussion and head injury information sheet prior to the student’s participation in practice or competition. The legislation has now moved on to the State Senate for consideration.
ITEM 13 Chairman Majikes provided the committee with information regarding a free online course – “The Role of the Parent in Sports” which is now available through the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) at www.nfhslearn.com.
ITEM 14 The following fall sports’ reports were presented:
· Cross Country (Bill King): The Junior High Championships will be held at Scranton McDade Park on Saturday, October 23rd. The Varsity Championships will be held at Elk Lake High School on Wednesday, October 27th. Information is available on the District II website.
· Field Hockey (Jeff Gregory): The brackets will be set as soon as all of the league competitions have been played. Numerous postponements have pushed games back and delayed the bracketing procedure. The Committee had a discussion regarding the request made to cover the finals on television. Following discussion, a motion was made by Bill King, seconded by Pat Patte, to set the television broadcast fee for all district games at $1,000 for a single game or $1,500 for a doubleheader excluding football.
· Football (Tom Jenkins): Tom has sent out a letter to all potential playoff participants reminding them that there will not be a pre-district meeting for member schools this year. The Football Committee will meet on Sunday, November 7th at 9 a.m. at the Wilkes-Barre Career & Technology Center to set up the tournament and that will be communicated to member schools.
· Tennis (Mike Ognosky): Mike thanked the fine work of Bill Schoen and Joe Lalli in assisting with the management of the District II Tennis Singles, Doubles and Team Championships.
ITEM 15 Bill Schoen and Maureen Williams, District II Officials’ Representatives, have announced the date, times and locations of the various pre-district meetings for sports officials. Those times are located on the “Officials” page of the District II website.
ITEM 16 Chairman Majikes distributed a flyer from Marywood University announcing a luncheon and tour of their facilities on October 27th (1 p.m.) and October 28th (Noon). Marywood would like to continue their fine relationship with the District II Committee in providing their facilities for District II Championship events and welcomes this opportunity to showcase their athletic facilities.
ITEM 17 Chairman Majikes announced that the District II Committee is planning seminars for coaches and parents on March 15th and 16th at the University of Scranton that will include a number of nationally known figures in conjunction with the Positive Coaching Alliance. Information will distributed to all member schools in the near future. The Committee is also planning a seminar for all member school principals and athletic directors to be held in conjunction with the Annual Business Meeting and Awards’ Banquet. Again, details will be forthcoming.
ITEM 18 Gerald Grimaud led a discussion regarding the potential for the District to establish an archive of previous district championship results. The Committee currently has official results dating back to the 2005 Fall Sports’ Season available on the website. The Committee, following discussion, welcomed the potential for the establishment of the archives and it will continue to be an ongoing discussion item at future meetings.
ITEM 19 Chairman Majikes informed the committee that West Scranton and MMI have opted out of the upcoming District II Boys’ Soccer playoffs.
ITEM 20 Chairman Majikes notified the committee that he will be working with the administration of the Old Forge High School to schedule the continuance of the August 2010 student eligibility hearing.
ITEM 21 A motion was made by Mike Costanza, seconded by Frank Galicki, to adjourn the meeting. All Ayes
Meeting was adjourned at 6:18 p.m.
District II Secretary